iPhone + TV = Killer combination that Apples missing out on?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by whlphil, Jan 20, 2009.

1. whlphil macrumors member

Suddenly occurred to me that Apples missing out on a Killer sales tool in combining the iPhone to push a picture upto a TV and then use it as a mini browser, emailer or low cost home computer

blogged about this earlier http://mygadgetlife.co.uk/start/?p=384

Whats your thoughts?

2. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

This has already been implemented, and quite well at that. There are currently two different packages you can install from cydia to get tv output from all apps, including the springboard. There is already some discussion here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=636556

They are both still in development, but its a giant leap in the right direction. Apple needs to implement this system wide eventually...

3. whlphil thread starter macrumors member

Ooh not seen that I'll have a look, my question ties into an earlier blog post I did about a place holder for a wireless DVI link I found on the Apple store site - thought it was a strange place holder as it seems a bit backward considering the move to mini display port

4. whlphil thread starter macrumors member

More thoughts

Been thinking more about this, the iPhone puts out signal over dock connector right? Is it possible to put the signal out over Wifi? would the phone have enough bandwidth to accomplish this over wifi with only class B/G?

When i originally searched for the wireless DVi adapter i did find one but the review said that it only work in certain circumstances and that full video was one of the things that didn't work although surfing did!

Am I the only one that thinks this would be a tremendous sales opportunity?

5. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Existing technology allows web videos to be streamed over wifi to TV, so such technology exists.

I own one of these and they work pretty well: http://www.internetvue.com/

6. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

"Tremendous" sales opportunity?

Nifty, sure. Fun to tinker with, sure. I just don't see people tripping over themselves for this. How would the control scheme work?

For the record, just in case there's any doubt, the iPhone (and Touch) already display videos and photos on TV.

7. tomashi macrumors regular

apple already makes a low end device to surf the net with, it's called a mac mini.

8. whlphil thread starter macrumors member

Dont think you got my cost cutting slant?

Yeah but if you want to surf the web you also need broadband and if you want a mobile aswell youve got to pay for that also.

My thoughts were combine the three for those that are not fortunate enough to be able to afford all three.

And yes i know the 3g coverage is not brilliant in the US but in the UK and lots of other countries we get 3g almost everywhere and 3g+ in most larger town centres. Doubtless most large US cities will have good 3g coverage by the end of this year.

9. whlphil thread starter macrumors member

Interesting!

I like the look of that! is this the one that i saw reviews of on new egg that wont do full screen video? does it just do small frame in browser stuff?

10. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Full screen works for me, perhaps user error on the other end.

Although on Vista is another story, much more limitation when using it on Vista.