iPhone uk contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nikko2185, Mar 9, 2013.

1. nikko2185 macrumors newbie

I have a friend here in uk who have a contract with 3 and orange , few weeks ago he get an iPhone 5 in orange website where he's been accepted then suddenly realised too much per month so he tried again phone 4 u which his been accepted also, so he called orange to cancel the contract within 14 days cooling off period ,
    He's thinking of not sending the phone back to orange so he has 2 iPhone now one from orange and one from phones 4 u , he's going back to his home country for a while and come back here when his visa sorted out,
    What will happen if he dint return the phone to orange?

2. 617aircav Suspended

He will owe them the cost of the phone. Not different from when you owe a credit card. You don't have to pay, but you will owe them regardless. He is not getting a free phone.

3. nikko2185 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bu the problem in few weeks time he's going back to his country?
    Do you think they will be problem when he come back here?
    Do you think the phone will be blocked?

4. imlovinit macrumors 6502

imlovinit

He should talk with them before he leaves. I mean, Few weeks before he has to leave? Plenty of time to handle the situation..maybe return either phone or both and/or pay what he owes for them. Otherwise, if I'm reading it right he is trying to make off with two phones he didn't pay for.

5. wsc9005 macrumors regular

If your friend is planning to have a job in the UK within 6 years then he/she better return the phone as the credit default can last six years on the credit report. The report can be seen by lenders and some employers who requires credit check.

Phone contract won't be cancelled until you return the handset, so the outstanding unpaid balance would be your monthly payment x number of months + debt collector's fee + interest. Therefore the damage will be bigger than your might have imagined.

6. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

It would be theft. The police would likely be notified and good luck to him sorting out his visa after stealing a phone.

In short: I can't think of anything stupider someone needing a visa could do other than commit a crime.

7. wsc9005, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013

wsc9005 macrumors regular

If you have previously requested a return but you did not return the handset, the phone company will automatically assumed that you would like to continuing the contract. Your first bill will be created within days time and if you do not pay this on time, they will flag this as a bad debt.

It's not a crime when you are unable to pay off your debt so police won't be notified, the phone company will simply pass the debt to a debt collection agency. The only damage is your credit rating, so you won't be able to obtain any credits anywhere else in the UK, except loan sharks. Also some company would do a credit check before offer you a job.

Even though this is not a crime but this is just ethically wrong .. Don't do it :(

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Actually, it's both theft and fraud. Your friend must have very low morals.

9. TeamHotch macrumors member

TeamHotch

As a former credit controller for a UK phone company i can't stress enough what an idiot your friend is being.

He'd be billed the phone and length of contract in full upon a termination for non payment probably owing £2000 if not more. He'd get no sympathy and should he decide to pay it eventually would be given 3 month payment terms.

Not to mention his credit history in the UK will show a default for 6 years, and no one would go near him for credit. Phone, car, mortgage, credit card.. forget it. He wont get it should he come back here.

The arrears would then be passed to a debt collection company, and while i've had no professional dealings with them i have spoken to customers who say they are horrible people to deal with, they have no concerns about using bullying tactics to get payment. Most customers would rather then pay the phone company rather than the debt collectors but its to late. Damage is done.

The phone will also be blacklisted for non payment/theft and once thats done just use it as a door stop thats all its fit for.

Phone company always wins.