iPhone UK PAYG (Best Choice?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Unrealhacker12, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Unrealhacker12 macrumors newbie

Hi I am considering purchasing a iPhone 4 in the UK I want to be on PAYG but get the best 3G Internet support with the best speeds and monthly bandwidth allowance. Can any of you give me some advice?

Thanks in advance. :apple:

2. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

Simple - Giffgaff.

3. sleyeu macrumors 6502

if you don't go with giffgaff you're a fool, way cheaper and better value than contract.

4. Unrealhacker12 thread starter macrumors newbie

So what get a sim-less from apple and get a giff gaff sim? Also will it work abroad. Because if you buy the iPhone 4 on PAYG directly from Orange UK or O2 you get free 3G internet for 12 months in the price, or so that's what I'm lead to believe.

5. OMGitsShan macrumors regular

I'm going with Tesco Mobile and here's why...

hey do this triple credit offer when you top up:

£10 - they credit you £30
    £15 - they credit you £45
    £20 - they credit you £60

The maximum you can get is £40 extra a month, so anything in addition you top up after £20 total top up, will not get you any extra credit.

They do 5 favourite numbers at half price - 10p a minute / 5p a text.

They offer 1GB of data allowance a month (the highest of anybody) - not even O2 which Tesco Mobile run through, offer that much.

You also get access to 12 months access to BT openzone wifi hotspots (handy if you are at an airport or some cafe etc)

6. Unrealhacker12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just had a good look at GiffGaff options these guys are awesome I can't believe I've never heard of them. By "Unlimted Internet" is that 3G internet also what is there general coverage like?

7. cjb1118 macrumors newbie

Yes it's 3G, they use the O2 network so the coverage should be the same.

8. Unrealhacker12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just ordered a free sim is it a microSim because thats what the iPhone 4 needs doesn't it?

9. sleyeu macrumors 6502

they give unlimited internet with a limit of 500mb - 750mb internet for 12 months, wont work abroad i dont think, but the other people will charge a bomb to recieve a call and make on and send texts... might as well get a local sim...

Mobile internet is internet on your mobile, doesnt matter what signal it is.

GIffGaff dont put a limit, and they have their own app now Mygiffgaff

10. sleyeu macrumors 6502

You can cut it up with a knife/scissors/card cutter and a manicure file to fine tune the size, if you want ill show you a picture of a cut up giffgaff sim.

11. sleyeu macrumors 6502

1. Unlimited Texts

2. No limit internet

3. Thats only useful if you are in an airport or happen to want to play an internet intensive game/webpage or download an app while out, which is highly unlikely... 3G is plenty fast to download doodlejump or whatever. And you probably already downloaded your apps..

lol triple post, got ahead of myself

12. jonny5alive macrumors newbie

It's only unlimited until October.

When it becomes:

Meh. 50p a day isn't that great.

And i'm guessing they don't have micro sims anyway, didn't see any options for them on the order screen.

13. Unrealhacker12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes please, also why does it take 3 weeks to ship an iPhone 4 I want one now =[

14. sorchard macrumors regular

Depends on whether or not you want 3G coverage (nationally, o2 are by far the worst in terms of 3G coverage, whereas 3/T-Mobile and Orange are the best). I would not sign up, personally, because it is next to useless around here. I'd rather pay a bit more, be limited, but get 3G coverage.

Also, you can bet that once the heavy users move over and start consuming an ungodly amount of minutes / data, o2 will have words with the "independent" management of their subsidiary to start limiting it.

15. ajh931 macrumors newbie

I would look at Three. Every time you top up (min £5) you get a free 150MB of data and texts (600 texts free if you top up by a £10 online) plus free three to three calls. Unlike most other networks the free allowances last for 90 days.
    I have also found their 3G network to have far better coverage and speed than O2.

16. Unrealhacker12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just like to announce I just bought an iPhone 4 because of giffgaff.