Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spearomic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
I have an iphone 4 fresh out of factory.

1. when I connect to my network, it displays 3 full bars at the top left hand corner of my iphone but when I go on to a random webpage on safari is says "Cannot open page. Safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to the internet".

2. I went into my wi-fi settings and notice that my ip address starts with 169.xxx.xxx.xxx and my subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 but everything else is cleared out.

4. Back to my iphone 4, I manually enter these addresses in the static tab of the ip address option in the wifi settings. Again get full 3 bars at the top left hand corner of the iphone.

5. I go back on safari and go to a random website but then it says "Cannot open page. Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding"

Iv tried nearly everything:
- restarting iphone
- forgetting the network then connecting to it again
- reset the router
- power cycled the router
- reset network settings
- switched airplane mode off and back on
- turned wifi off and on

Theres got to be something that can fix this problem!

please, is anyone able to help me?
kind regards..... xx

spearomic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
I did but I can't get it to work still, but I tried the wifi in other places and it works so it has to be my router, I played with it a lot, changed channels etc... but no results... I'm lost

Hitch59

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2009
It's your Router config if anything...

Your issue is the address beginning 169. it's an internal non-routable address. Your router should be able to be configured for DHCP so it can hand out a set of IP-routable addresses. The quickest way to configure the router is to connect to it from a browser via network cable into one of the ethernet ports. DO NOT use addresses that start with 169. I use 192.168.100.10 as a start address & make the default gateway 192.168.100.1 and using 255.255.255.0 should be fine.

Hope this helps..

iliramove

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2009
Did you also check your DHCP range? How many IP addresses your router can give? Maybe they were all used up by other computers at your home?

kkandola

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2011
UK, Preston
how to stop internet tethering

how to stop internet tethering

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have the same problem with my iphone 4, my iphone 4 is jail broken, it lets me downloads apps and surf the internet but when i turn 3g off an switch to wifi the internet tethering spinning wheel comes on an i cant seem it let it stop please help

cherd

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2010
ok. i have changed my addresses and all that fun stuff and still no wifi. when you go thru the settings and look at the wifi connection it says it is connected but no icon on the top of the screen. still showing 3g. when i reset my phone it connects for a split second and the second i go to safari it goes back to 3g.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.