Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

interstella

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
Suffolk, England
I was just walking down the street today listening the radio on my AirPods when suddenly it all went quiet and my phone showed the screen below. Five minutes later it was still the same so I took a screenshot and restarted the phone. The same screen came up initially but the phone returned to normal a couple of minutes later and has been ok in the last 2 hours.

Any ideas, please?

Photo.jpg

interstella

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
Suffolk, England
That definitely didn't happen! I got no message about incorrect passcode attempts. The phone was in a coat pocket and it would have been pretty much impossible for it to do anything like this on its own. I'm also not an iPhone novice and I'm tech-aware.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Doesn't that message mean that your phone was locked at that time, and, for whatever reason, did not accept an unlock code?
Is it possible that another device attempted the unlock? Do you have an Watch?

interstella

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
Suffolk, England
No, I wear a clockwork watch! The phone would have been locked. The first I knew about it was when the radio station stopped playing.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Do you have "tap to wake" enabled? If so, I've had my phone wake while in my pocket in which case it fails FaceID unlock and vibrates. When I pull it out of my pocket it's on the passcode unlock screen so it's possible that's what happened while in your pocket and the passcode was randomly entered while moving in your pocket too many times. The iPhone unavailable screen you've shown is for too many attempts and the phone times out for a little while. The amount of time increases each time that screen reappears

Last edited:
Reactions: jetsam

interstella

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2013
Suffolk, England
I don't have tap to wake enabled. Well, I suppose it could have somehow randomly entered a passcode several times but I've no idea how. Furthermore I'd have expected this to have happened before at some time during the last 12 or 13 years but this is the first time I've seen it happen. I'll see if it happens again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.