iPhone Universal Remote Control?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chaseardoin7, Feb 27, 2008.

1. chaseardoin7 macrumors regular

chaseardoin7

ever since i bought my iPhone on launch day last year, i've always thought that this would be a great idea. it would get rid of one more device in our lives. is this possible with the SDK coming out soon? just pick up your if phone and control your tv, dvd player, :apple:tv and mac?

chase :apple:

2. aerospace macrumors 6502a

controlling your pc is possible, have yet to see anything that can control an ir device, ie tv, vcr, dvd player, cable box

...(yes I know iphone doesnt have ir support, but it could connect to something that has wifi and ir support)

In theory I can connect my iphone to my computer, which connects to my projector, which allows me to watch tv using the vcr's tuner...but thats way to complicated and I prefer tv on the tv and movies on the projector.

3. mooty macrumors regular

There is no reason why it cannot control your :apple:tv or FrontRow over wireless. Just needs a software update so that they can talk to each other, and an app on the iPhone to use it as a remote.

Probably why the apple remote is an added extra on new machines and not included anymore...