iPhone Universal Search Feature

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ryant601, May 29, 2009.

1. ryant601 macrumors member

I was wondering what you guys thought about Apple including a google search into spotlight. Similar to how the Pre does it? And maybe twitter, etc.

Or is this something that is being worked on. i havnt looked into 3.0 much.

thanks!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Spotlight on the Mac doesn't have this feature, so why would the iPhone's version?

3. ryant601 thread starter macrumors member

i know it doesnt. but on a mac you also have alot more files to search through. i think it could be a good option to incorporate a web search, almost like Google's App.

4. randomusername macrumors 6502

I do think Apple should incorporate Google Search, Google News, Wikipedia, and Google Maps into Spotlight on both Mac and the iPhone. I think there should be an option to turn off these features and set how many results you get for each service (like, only get 3 results in Spotlight in a search for Google News, but 5 for Google Search, 0 for Google Maps, and 1 for Wikipedia).

5. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

It'd be nice... I find spotlight useles on the iPhone and os x.

6. puercaeli macrumors regular

I have only been using Mac for 1yr
    but I have seen from initial Mac OS X Intro Keynote that Sherlock
    had feature to search various websites including eBay...

7. ryant601 thread starter macrumors member

i dont know why they got rid of sherlock. that is exactly what im talking about. just put that into a mobile form, and you're set.

8. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

9. ryant601 thread starter macrumors member

it wouldnt be that hard to pull off, i dont think, it's basically a native background app similar to Google's

10. nfl46 macrumors 603

I think overtime we'll get 3.0.1, etc updates to update Spotlight. Because in the Beta, Spotlight doesn't search within in the text messages. I'm sure in the upcoming updates, we'll probably see that feature added to Spotlight.

11. CanadianMac2008 macrumors member

Useless? Why? Now forgive me if I'm missing something (which I am willing to accept may very well be a possibility) but in my experience, Spotlight on the Mac is frigging amazing. I came from Windows and love it. Quick Command space brings it up and from there I can easily launch a program or search for files. I find it very simple and easy to use, as well as fast. Not to mention it can do other neat things like calculations, although I don't personally do this.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I really wouldn't enjoy that, I was thinking of that the other day. When searching for something in search, I'm only looking on my ipod. If I wanted to search something online, id go to safari. Some could say its more convenient, but I would find it annoying unless implemented in a way that doesn't make the google results show unless you want them to.

13. ryant601 thread starter macrumors member

spotlight is incredible on the mac, its so convenient. On the iPhone, it is quite a process to search something simple in google. a few steps at least, i dont see how doing this in one step would be annoying.

14. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Well, I think it's because, for me personally, I tend to go OCD and organize everything into a million folders on my computer, and don't have many contacts/apps/music on my iPhone. So to me it is useless.

15. ryant601 thread starter macrumors member

well, to me, there are things on the iphone that are useless to me as well. the stocks app does nothing for me, im a student. a more feature packed spotlight could appeal to the greater good. i understand that it may be less useful for people with not a lot of content. but in that regard...you're getting spotlight anyways. the spotlight im talking about would have an embedded web search.

16. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Yeah, I suppose Google in Spotlight would be nice.

17. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I'd definitely digg Twitter being an option. I noticed yesterday how the Pre
    does exactly this, straight out of the box, and tweeted how cool it would be
    to be able to search Twitter, directly from the Spotlight home screen in 3.0.

Heck, I regard myself as a Twitter power-user, and I can safely say
    that I'd be more than willing to pay for that functionality.

R-Fly

18. ryant601 thread starter macrumors member

my idea for this kind of spotlight functionality is based on the pre haha. because of this and the kind of noise the Pre is making, i have a feeling we'll see this shortly