iPhone Universal Tripod Mount (Bracketron Mod)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Daremo, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I was thinking about a mounting solution for the iPhone 3GS, now that it has a better camera, and video functionality. I have several universal tripods which I use with my Nikon D60, and started thinking of a way to use any of these tripods if I wanted to. As far as I know, there is no universal mount like this. Of course, there very well may be, and I just haven't seen one yet.

I started going through my left over and unused gadget box, and came across a couple different Bracketron mounts I don't use. One had a long flexible arm, with a suction cup mount, and the other was a much shorter arm, connected to a cup holder type mount.

I thought the suction cup mounts arm was too long, and would be a bit unstable for what I wanted, but the other seemed just right.

I disassembled the cup hold section, leaving just the arm, and bracket mount. I used a dremel to remove the gear, and inside unneeded plastic inside the section that connected to the cup holder base.

I found an old video camera from 10 years ago that no longer worked, and I removed the universal tripod mount from it, and used the dremel again to shave away the plastic around it, creating a circle just around the actual mounting nut.

Next, I used a 2 part epoxy putty, they when it cures in 24 hours, it's as hard as plastic, and can be sanded, drilled, or used in any way you would a solid material. It also bonds plastics and metals. It's something no modifier should be without.

I filled the opening of the flexible arm with the epoxy putty, and pushed in the mounting nut center in the opening, pushing it flush with the base. I removed the excess epoxy, and let cure for 24 hours. The end result, is a perfect solution to my mounting issue. This will work with any universal tripod mount, and is actually quite stable.

The Bracketron mount rotates 360 degrees, so it's perfect for portrait or landscape, with photos, or video. It's a pretty simple mod, and basically made, not out necessity, but wanting to see if I could come up with the simplest solution possible.

Attached Files:

2. Daremo thread starter macrumors 68000

Daremo

Some more photos

Attached Files:

3. strike1555 macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

Why the f*** would anybody serious enough about their pictures to use a mounted camera use an iPhone of all things? Honestly, with the time and effort you put in, you could have worked a few hours at a job and bought a better, dedicated camera.

4. whitebook macrumors regular

haha classic!!! But yeh........why? :confused:

5. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

6. Daremo thread starter macrumors 68000

Daremo

If you read the post, you would see I have a better dedicated camera. Thanks for the tips on life though, It's a shame I don't have any experience on being a c*** sucker, otherwise I'd extend the same courtesy. :)

7. Daremo thread starter macrumors 68000

Daremo

Just because. :D

8. jacobgaul macrumors regular

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

classic.

9. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I do a lot of tinkering myself "just because"

I work hard enough during the day,

10. Daremo thread starter macrumors 68000

Daremo

Exactly! This wasn't meant to be a million dollar idea, just something I enjoyed doing. Over the top and unnecessary? Of course it is. I just figured some people might get a kick out it. :D

11. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Best reply evar?

Thanks for posting about this - I'd find it really useful for recording time-lapse videos (there's an app for that....) of various random activities whilst I'm at work. Will see if I can pick one up somewhere! :)

Do you suppose there's any way you could have a tripod attachment AND a suction cup? As I'd like to be able to mount it when possible or stick it to something if not....