iPhone Unlimited Plan - Swapping SIM into Android Phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dylanursula, Feb 24, 2011.

1. dylanursula macrumors 6502

All

I am a long time iPhone user and love it as my main phone (also have a work. BB) - however I played with an android today and really liked it. Now the question, I have the Unlimited Plan on AT&T and wondering if I use a MicroSIM adapter can I use it in an Android AND RETAIN my unlimited iPhone plan or will AT&T knock me off it....

Thanks

2. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I have a Nexus One and would use an adapter for my iP4's micro-sim. Android is fun for a few months, but gets pretty annoying and tedious once the newness wears off.

I bought one of the adapters available on Amazon and it is utter crap... it's fine if you're swapping once and use the tape that comes with it, but I was swapping back and forth just for the wifi tethering in Froyo... which became more of a hassle than it was worth and I just dumped my unlimited plan for the 4GB w/ tethering plan on my iP4.

3. dylanursula thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Topmounter - so you had unlimited but went to the 4Gb plan instead?
    I would like to keep my iPhone unlimited plan but not sure if I swap into another phone if the AT&T system detects that and kicks it off my iphone unlimited.

4. coorspate macrumors regular

coorspate

5. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

You can switch phones and still retain your unlimited data plan.
    AT&T will simply transfer you from an iPhone unlimited plan to a smartphone unlimited plan. (costs the same).

All unlimited plan users are grandfathered in, even when switching devices.

Also, they will know you are not using an iPhone the instant the Android phone registers with a tower.

6. dylanursula thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks - I appreciate it!