iPhone Unlimited Tethering on AT&T for an iPad via App/Other means

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nygiants242, Oct 29, 2013.

1. nygiants242 macrumors member

Any way I can tether from my iPhone 5S? I realize I cannot officially through AT&T given that my data is unlimited. However, I really do not want to give up unlimited and go down to 5 GB, and pay an additional fee just to be able to tether. Any apps out there (without unlocking) that provide this? Any tips/advice would be awesome.

PS: I realize this is a very specific, picky question looking for an absolutely ideal scenario, but just wanted to see in case there may be anything out there.

2. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

No. All carriers require a tethering plan. T-Mobile offers unlimited data along with a tethering add-on.

3. cnotes2019 Suspended

iPhone Unlimited Tethering on AT&T for an iPad via App/Other means

You would need your phone to be jailbroken but no jailbreak is available at this time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

4. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Verizon doesn't

5. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

To use tethering with an unlimited plan on Verizon you would need to add on the $30 unlimited tethering plan. (or jailbreak)

And both Verizon and AT&T's shared data plans allow tethering for no extra cost.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Only if you JB.
    And currently there no JB available for your device.

7. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

And if current trends continue iOS 8/iPhone 6 will be out before there's a jailbreak for 5S users.

8. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

9. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

T-Mobile recently increased the free monthly hotspot allowance from .5 gb to 2.5 gb per month if you have their $70 unlimited (postpaid) plan. You only have to get an add-on if you want to exceed that amount.

10. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

buy an android phone and root it. thats the ONLY thing I miss from my Galaxy device. I used to use wifi tether with my verizon unlimited data, oh man. Im bummed out now.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I highly doubt that.
    There will be a JB for ios 7 sooner or later.

12. VolceOntra macrumors 6502

VolceOntra

All of tmobiles simple choice plans have tethering included.

13. erure macrumors regular

There was the iTether app on the app store that was there probably for all of 15 minutes before taken away. It only allows USB tethering though and since it's not supported, it doesn't work very well (i.e. it can't be run in the background, sometimes you just have to close the app and restart it to get it going again, etc). But I used that app to USB tether my iPhone to my MacBook Pro and then used internet sharing to change my computer into a wifi hotspot and got internet on my iPad that way, which is almost not even worth it because it's such a pain in the ass.