Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2004
London, England
Hey All,

I have had my iPhone 3G for nearly 2 months now but another family member of mine used to own the phone before me and they gave me the phone when they finished there 12 month contract on O2, and obviously it is locked to O2. Would I be able to fill out the online form to request the unlock myself or will I have to get my other family member who was the original owner of the phone to fill it out instead because his name was on the original O2 contract?

I only need it unlocking so I can use it with my Orange pay monthly sim card and I tried the method posted on here where you hook it up into iTunes, sync with the iPhone and iTunes downloads the new Orange Carrier settings which allows for an Orange sim card, but for me it did not work & never received the carrier settings through iTunes I tried it loads of times! :(

Thanks - Liam

There's no harm in filling out the form and see what happens

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
That's debatable - in my case the O2 store manager said because I had a monthly contract already I could put my SIM in the 3GS and therefore not pay the otherwise mandatory £10 to top up the PAYG SIM. So as far as the O2 shop were concerned at the time of sale, it was not sold for PAYG use, but for use with an existing contract SIM.

It's similar for me, now that I think about it.

I received the PAYG SIM from O2 still sealed and passed it on to the new owner of my old iPhone 3G. I believe that the mandatory £10 top-up was included. However, my 3GS was never activated as a PAYG. It's always been under contract.

Liam.

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
There's no harm in filling out the form and see what happens

Thanks, just filled out the form just now and see what happens. I thought I might as well give it a go as the iPhone is out of contract now as it ended 2 months ago hence why I have the iPhone on my possesion now, I bet I get refused for the unlock though.

Liam

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I thought I might as well give it a go as the iPhone is out of contract now as it ended 2 months ago hence why I have the iPhone on my possesion now, I bet I get refused for the unlock though.

Liam
Why would you bet on getting refused an unlock?
You are already out of contract, so that works to your advantage.

Liam.

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
Why would you bet on getting refused an unlock?
You are already out of contract, so that works to your advantage.

Yes - but what if the information I provided does not match the information linked the the iPhone's IMEI linked to the original O2 pay monthly account? I know that the contract is now ended but what are the chances of O2 matching the IMEI with the account? Or when they look up the IMEI will there computer just tell them I am eligible for the unlock because my iPhone is no longer tied to a contract?

Liam

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Just got a voicemail from O2's executive relations team.

As it stands currently;

The phone is bound via IMEI number to the terms of the tariff it was purchased with. It doesn't matter if you switched sim cards and activated it with your granny's decade old contract SIM

Apples legislation and nothing O2 can do.

Interpolation

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2008
Yes - but what if the information I provided does not match the information linked the the iPhone's IMEI linked to the original O2 pay monthly account? I know that the contract is now ended but what are the chances of O2 matching the IMEI with the account? Or when they look up the IMEI will there computer just tell them I am eligible for the unlock because my iPhone is no longer tied to a contract?

Liam

Currently they link the IMEI to the contract. But I think you will be ok if it was a contract. If you were on pay&go you are stuffed until they sort it out.

Liam.

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009

As it stands currently;

The phone is bound via IMEI number to the terms of the tariff it was purchased with. It doesn't matter if you switched sim cards and activated it with your granny's decade old contract SIM

So basically your saying there is nothing stopping me from getting this Unlock from O2? As long as my iPhone was took out on a contract to start with (which is was)

Liam

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
As long as the actual phone you want to unlock was bought with a contract...

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England

Great... so by the time I can get this one unlocked I'll probably be looking to purchase the NEXT iPhone anyway! sigh.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK

As it stands currently;

This is why the unlocking form annoys me. I should just be able to put in my iPhone's IMEI and have it unlocked without needing to be on O2 and put in a number etc. It could have been sitting in a drawer since it's contract was paid off in January for all they know.

Liam.

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
Brilliant, fingers crossed they will honour my request for the unlock. Filled the form out earlier on, no text back from them yet.

Liam

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
This is why the unlocking form annoys me. I should just be able to put in my iPhone's IMEI and have it unlocked without needing to be on O2 and put in a number etc. It could have been sitting in a drawer since it's contract was paid off in January for all they know.

You can still give it a go by calling them up. The 2G is old enough so it should technically not matter

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
You can still give it a go by calling them up. The 2G is old enough so it should technically not matter

I know, I'm not in the UK though. I'll have to risk emailing them then waiting forever for a reply. I have bad luck with CS people emailing me back :eek: I'll get it unlocked eventually though, might have to wait till I'm back in the UK.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Yes. That's right.

I've dashed off a terse email requesting their reason for denying the unlock to a Pay-Monthly customer...

*snip*

Just a quick update. I've received a rather pleasant reply to my email, informing me that my 16 GB iPhone 3G will soon be unlocked.

hmm...

I've replied, letting them know, as politely as possible, that I'm sure its new owner will be very pleased, once I break the news to them, but that I, however, would like my 32 GB iPhone 3GS unlocked, if you please!

More as it happens...

alexph

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Devon UK
Just a quick update. I've received a rather pleasant reply to my email, informing me that my 16 GB iPhone 3G will soon be unlocked.

hmm...

I've replied, letting them know, as politely as possible, that I'm sure its new owner will be very pleased, once I break the news to them, but that I, however, would like my 32 GB iPhone 3GS unlocked, if you please!

More as it happens...

Ha, at least you got an email saying that they were going to unlock a phone. i filled in the form on the evening on the 9th, when it became available, had an email from them later that night saying that they needed more information to trace my account. then on Tuesday morning, i received an email from their customer care team saying that iPhone couldn't be unlocked and were tied to the O2 network. After I suggested in no uncertain terms that perhaps they might like to take at look at their own website, they came back the the usual, 'no-one told us' and yes my iPhone was eligable for an unlock. Since then nothing, but I guess the next will be a text message sometime in the next 12 days.

Unbelievable.

Alex

Liam.

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
Sent off the request for my unlock yesterday at 2pm, still no reply via email or text yet.

Liam

andyjsi

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
Sent off the request for my unlock yesterday at 2pm, still no reply via email or text yet.

Liam

I've been waiting since 9am on the 10th and still heard nothing. Tried syncing with another sim last night and I just got a message saying invalid sim detected

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
Woo-hoo !!

Just got my text confirmation.

And it's a 2 month old PAYG 3GS running on my 18 month old Simplicity contract, so it would seem the rules are flexible!

Haven't been able to test it yet, will have to restore as I'm currently unlocked with Blacksn0w.

Attachments

• Tornado at Earley.png
    Tornado at Earley.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 92

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom

Liam

I've been waiting since 9am on the 10th and still heard nothing. Tried syncing with another sim last night and I just got a message saying invalid sim detected
When I filled out the form they did say it takes up to 14 days…
So a little patience might be rewarded. :)
Of course that's not to say they haven't screwed up. :p

Great news. Did you apply on the 10th?

Interpolation

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2008

And it's a 2 month old PAYG 3GS running on my 18 month old Simplicity contract, so it would seem the rules are flexible!

Haven't been able to test it yet, will have to restore as I'm currently unlocked with Blacksn0w.

Which number did you put in in the unlock form, you simplicity number by any chance...???

Dee2001

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2009

I got my text at 10.15 this morning. Woo!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.