iPhone Unlock permanent?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alep85, Sep 13, 2007.

1. alep85 macrumors regular

alep85

Hey everyone,
    I used Erica Sadun's Unlock.app to unlock my phone (I have AT&T currently, but in case I ever switch or travel internationally, its nice to have the feature). My question is whether or not this is a permanent unlock. For instance, when I do a software restore, do I have to re-unlock the phone using the app? I realize Apple could break this with a software update, but my main concern is breaking it with my own software restores. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!

2. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

3. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Nobody knows for sure yet. Just make sure you don't update to future firmware's before checking around to see if its safe.....

ShadoW

4. gallinger macrumors regular

I restored mine last night, and it was fine! unlock still worked. you just need to unlock it again with iActivate or iNdenendence

5. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Dont use iNdenendence with the latest version of iTunes, as there is a risk it will brick the iPhone. Engadget tested the unlock here and said it was restore-proof.

6. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I also restored mine last night but had to re-do the unlock process.

EDIT: And PowerFullMac, I think you're misunderstanding the recent happenings. The most recent INdependence (1.1.1) has been verified to work with iTunes. The older version however, ran into some glitches when apple updated iTunes to 7.4. I've been using 7.4.1 and INdependence 1.1.1 for a few days now (multiple restores, unlocks, jailbreaks, etc.) without a problem. That's not to say there's no chance of bricking your phone... that chance exists no matter what sot of modifying you might be doing. But INdependence 1.1.1 and iTunes 7.4.1 are not a notable cause.

7. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Thanks pdpfilms I think I read that before the update came out and apparently there were reports of bricked iPhones.

8. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

It looks like it will not be, based on a report at iPhone Atlas, which notes that all of these software unlocks are exploiting a buffer overflow vulnerability in the iPhone's OS which will almost certainly be fixed in the next version of the iPhone's software because it could be exploited as an attack vector for iPhone viruses.