Iphone Unlock Query

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zez, Jun 8, 2008.

1. zez macrumors newbie

I want to purchase an Iphone for use in New Zealand, however would like to know if the ones you can buy online in teh US (mac website etc) will work on our Vodafone network? We use GSM technology.

Can I unlock this myself in some way? I have heard there are tutorial on how to unlock these online, however am not sure if this is entirely true.

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

2. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Yes it will work. Check out Ziphone or iLibertyX for the easiest method to do it yourself.

3. chapel321 macrumors member

Google??? Yes you can unlock yourself! Tutorial videos are all over YouTube. Ziphone etc....

4. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You CANNOT order from the Apple website though. That is if the iPhone won't be available on your network in your country.

Ebay is a great place though.

5. mmoosa macrumors 6502

mmoosa

WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT USE ZIPHONE

use iliberty+ doesnt do irreversable things, im not goin into detail;)

6. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

I don't want to start another Ziphone debate, but it has worked better for me than what iLibertyX has done, so it's not that tragic to use it. Each have their ups and downs.

EDIT: Either way, I've edited my post to reflect both choices.

7. mmoosa macrumors 6502

mmoosa

haha sorry for the big font, its just that ziphone downgrades the bootloader permanently whereas iliberty uses a fake one which you can reverse in a warranty situation

8. zez thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your quick response.

I had searched google originally prior to posting in this forum, however it is difficult when you are bombarded with different software to use and various ways to do it. So it's great the hear what people think that have actually done it!

So do you guys recommend buying from Ebay rather than a store in the US or UK? I just don't know how reliable this is, as in NZ we have our own version of Ebay separately.

Is there a well known store in the US & UK which is known for having the vbest priced Iphones?

I guess my main concern was when I see them for sale online with AT&T (US) and other plans etc. Can we not buy the phone outright without a contract? In NZ, you either buy a phone on a plan and sign a contract, or buy it outright with no plan. If you buy oin contract, you ahve to pay it out at $10/month to use the phone wiht another network.

I hope this makes sens what I am asking here?

Sorry about all the questions!

Thanks so much.

9. Blackforge macrumors 6502

The ZiPhone bootloader changes are not irreversible anymore if you use bootneuter to flash it back. You can install it through Installer if you want.