iPhone Unlock question.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iPhoneBurger, Oct 6, 2011.

1. iPhoneBurger macrumors newbie

1) If I buy an iPhone 4 tomorrow (AT&T / GSM version), will the software on the phone be a version that is unlockable?

2) Would you advise someone who has no idea how to do this, to attempt it? I just want a phone that I can pop sims into when I go to other countries. I know nothing about this hacking or unlocking stuff. But if its as simple as running a program then anyone can do it. Your opinion?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

to unlock the ip4, u need a Gevey. Its a tiny circuit board that u install in your SIM tray.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you buy a new iPhone 4 tomorrow you will only be able to "unlock" using Gevey Sim. Anything above baseband 3.10.whatever is not ultrasn0w-able.

4. iPhoneBurger thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay I guess what I am asking is whether the firmware on the currently purchasable iphone 4 is "gevey-able" ... someone told me its been updated on currently selling models and therefore cant be unlocked.

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

If you purchase an Iphone 4 Gevey SIM will work. Iphone 4 are not yet shipping with IOS5, there is some question if Gevey will work with IOS 5 but this is not yet available.

The 4S will be shipping with IOS5 but your question addressed the Iphone 4. Of course the best solution to your request is to purchase the phone SIM free from Apple.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes it will be gevey-able.
    The official 5.0 hasnt came out yet and its only preinstalled on the iphone 4S that's coming out.
    But you gotta hurry.

7. madridista59 macrumors regular

hey quick question regarding gevey and unlocking in general.

my current phone is 4.3.3 bb 04.10.01 on at&t. i intend to pick up another 4 off of craigslist to unlock so that my niece can use it on tmobile. say the phone from cl is 4.3.5, i know gevey will be able to unlock that, but would i still have the option to install cl bought phone with a backup of my phone so it'll be 4.3.3 and unlock from there?

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

The phone needs to have 4.3.3 SHSH blobs saved in order to downgrade Firmware down to 4.3.3. If u don't have saved blobs u can't downgrade, period.

9. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

No need to go to 4.3.3. Go to 4.3.5, update to iOS 5 and be sure the preserve the baseband.

You'll have iOS 5 with 04.10.01

10. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

That is true. However, you have to stick with tethered jailbreak when you go to 4.3.5 or OS5. for 4.3.3 you will have untethered jailbreak.

11. madridista59, Oct 10, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011

madridista59 macrumors regular

Fantastic. Thanks for the help fellas! Much appreciated.

edit:

Oh wait, I had a follow up to my question now that you guys mentioned jailbreaking. If say she didn't care to have it jailbroken, the unlock to work on tmobile will still be fine? Or does it need to be jailbroken? I was under the impression that wasn't necessary if I'm using Gevey, but it's best to be safe asking you guys who are more knowledgeable on the subject than myself. Thanks.

12. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You're better off getting a factory unlocked phone. Nothing to mess with.

13. psejcf macrumors member

There is no need to jailbreak if you use the Gevey SIM interposer. However, you should keep in mind that the Gevey does not work with the iOS 5 update that also modifies the baseband. So if you wish (or she does) to upgrade to iOS 5, then the only way to preserve the current baseband that works with Gevey is to build a custom jailbroken firmware using sn0wbreeze and installing it.

See the thread I started a couple of days ago titled "Instructions for - ..." for more information.

14. madridista59 macrumors regular

thanks psejcf! pretty good thread ya got there!

and i was pondering just picking up a factory unlocked so i wouldn't have to worry about gevey or jailbreaking or jumping through hoops to upgrade to ios5 on her phone because i know she'll want that update after coming from an android (mainly the notifications).

anyways, thanks again for everyone's help! much appreciated! :D