Iphone Unlock service provider help (First timer)??

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by hastyle, Sep 19, 2011.

1. hastyle macrumors member

Hey guys, Im totally new to this unlocking and there seems to be so many different ways to do it and i just wanna make sure i dont mess this phone up (brick or whatever its called). wondering if someone can guide me in the right direction. I had a iphone 3g (fido carrier) but it got stolen. I just picked up another Iphone 3g (Rogers Carrier), Just did a factory restore but since its locked to rogers carrier, my Fido sim card doesn't work. So i have to jail break it, unlock, then restore my old iphone backup (ie contact, games, photo,etc)??? is this in the right order??
    does it matter which firm where was installed at the time on the iphone that got stolen. Do i have to have the same firmware on this new one ?
    can someone provide me some links tutorial to what i have to do from here.

thanks.

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Have you done any research into this at all? Because you don't even know how to use the term brick correctly (FYI, brick has nothing to do with software). Research for at least an hour/night for the next two weeks. By then, you'll actually have some real questions to ask us.

3. hastyle, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011

hastyle thread starter macrumors member

Im sorry but theres just so much information on jail breaking, and for me to sit there and go through it all. some of these websites only talk about jail breaking a specific model with a specific firmware. It would be nice if someone can just atleast point me to a site or tell me what i need to research on, so i dont waste time looking at information that is irrelevant to this old 3g i have. Im not asking anyone to baby me through all this. just save me some time from having to read everything.

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

If you're using Fido in Canada, it runs under Rogers and your SIM card should work. The same way a Virgin Mobile (Canada) SIM will work in a Bell phone and vice versa.

5. hastyle thread starter macrumors member

I did a restore and it ask me for a sim car, i popped in my fido sim card and it said its not compatible. So what i did was popped in my sisters (rogers) sim card and restored my iphone and updated. Tried to pop in my fido sim card, but it just say no service

So now that i restored the phone with my old phone setting and update it, i got a better idea of what i need to do. So I got firmware 4.2.1 and need to jailbreak with Redsn0w 0.9.6. What im not sure about is this Baseband requirement, does it require a certain baseband to proceed with the unlock process or can i go ahead and give the jailbreak a try?

6. Pignut macrumors newbie

From my understanding you are going to need to run baseline 06.15.00
    Beware the reprucussions of doing that though, might want to research why it may not be suitable for you.

7. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

http://unloc.kr/ use that site to see if you can unlock

8. hastyle thread starter macrumors member

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

10. hastyle thread starter macrumors member

Ok so i wont be able to do a factory restore once I upgrade the Baseband. Which im fine with since the phone doesnt have warranty anyways. So which route should i use to jailbreak and unlock? from what i understand snowbreeze can do untether jb plus unlock, but some people are saying that its a bit slow compared to greenpoisin jb? and the redsnow jb is only available in a tether version (which i dont think i want)