iPhone unlock?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ratzzo, Jun 5, 2011.

1. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Hi guys,

I live in Puerto Rico (USA) for studying purpses and during summer I come back to Spain, my homeland. Now, my mother's carrier is offering her a brand new iPhone 4, which she said I could have (Vodafone Spain). However, some say it can't be unlocked (for use in USA later on), others say it can't be jailbroken and unlocked simultaneously, ...

Could you guys please answer my doubt? How can I unlock it and, will I be able to use it in USA (say, with AT&T's prepaid service)? And also have it jailbroken? Cheers :cool:

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

There is currently no unlock for the iPhone 4 unless it's running baseband 1.59.00 (which shipped with iOS 4, 4.0.1 and 4.0.2 I believe). Since your iPhone 4 will be new, the unlock is not possible. However, it is possible to jailbreak the phone with Redsn0w 0.9.6 RC17 untethered. Jailbreaking the phone will not allow you to use it on AT&T or any other carrier.

Furthermore, the only way you can get it unlocked is with the Gevey turbo SIM, or begging Vodafone to unlock you.

3. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Just ask Vodaphone to unlock it for you. There's even an online unlock request form somewhere on their website.

4. ratzzo, Jun 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

ratzzo thread starter macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Thanks for the info, guys.

I found said form for the Australian Vodafone, not for the Spanish one unfortunately, I called though, and they say I must first have 12 months with them since the day I received the iPhone in question. Which I won't be since I will be going back and forth in countries. Ah well, I'll check out that 'turbo SIM'. Cheers :)

Oh, by the way, I found a website that "used to unlock them" but "cannot do so anymore", they did so at prices of 100eur. I wonder what's up with that :confused:

Edit: After browsing for the gevey SIM, turns out I could buy one for 15 eur which will enable all-around carrier usage for baseband 04.10.01.

The problem is, I could choose from a SGSII or an iPhone 4. I've read the Galaxy is easy to unlock, however I'd prefer the iPhone. What if the iPhone unlock doesn't work with the Turbo SIM? Mmm :/

5. ratzzo thread starter macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

6. iLoyal macrumors regular

It's BS. :D The best option for you is Gevey/Turbo sim. Trust me, it works like a charm for traveler and it's only going to cost you $10ish.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced