iPhone Unlock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jimmy Guphanti, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Jimmy Guphanti macrumors 6502

Hello,

I am on AT&T with one of those 0 month contract plans where you pay in full for your phone. Does this mean if I buy a new iPhone it will be unlocked since I paid the full retail price?

Thanks.

2. PFKMan23 macrumors regular

A locked phone is a locked phone, even if you buy it at full price. I'm pretty sure you'd need to have it for 60 days until they're technically willing to unlock it for you.

3. Jimmy Guphanti thread starter macrumors 6502

Since I am purchasing it at the full retail price, wouldn't it come factory unlocked?

4. LSUtigers03, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014

LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Someone will have to confirm but I'm pretty sure that all devices sold by AT&T are locked. It doesn't matter if you pay full price or not. I would buy from Apple if you want to get an unlocked phone.

ETA: From what I just read devices that aren't under a service commitment have to be on your account for 60 days before they are eligible to be unlocked. I just had a 5s that was still under contract unlocked probably because a G3 was now on my account. So you may be able to get it unlocked right away but AT&T doesn't have to do it.

5. PFKMan23 macrumors regular

Nope, if you buy it at an AT&T store or order it from AT&T, it will be locked to AT&T.

6. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Buy the AT&T iPhone from the Apple Store in-person (not online) and request the device-only option if you want an unlocked AT&T phone from the outset. Not sure what's required, but I believe AT&T is otherwise fairly lenient about unlocking phones that are paid in full.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

It really should, and I'm not really sure how AT&T is getting away with having it locked and requiring 60 days of use before it could get unlocked for situations like that.