iPhone unlocked by 2.2 firmware

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wetrix, Nov 21, 2008.

1. wetrix macrumors 6502

wetrix

I'm guessing other people in New Zealand are getting this message after installing 2.2? What other countries are seeing this?

[​IMG]

2. macfreaker macrumors newbie

macfreaker

I'm from Belgium and have the same after updating.:D

3. watergun macrumors regular

I'm from Hong Kong and also got the same message :D But, I've seen that same message when updating to 2.1 before...

4. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

but it doesn't really unlock your iphone and you can't take another carriers sim card, right? :confused:

5. Ballis macrumors 6502a

Have you tried using a different sim card to see if its actually unlocked? The dev team warned about updating to 2.2 in regards to their upcoming unlock, so i dont want to update to this firmware unless it actually unlocks my phone.

6. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

7. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Japan gets emoji, other countries are getting their phones unlocked, what special treats do us America get? :confused:

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Centennial being purchased by AT&T, removing the last affordable option for me to ever have service on my iPhone. :mad::(

Well, unless I act before the purchase goes through.

9. billandy macrumors regular

10. fishmoose macrumors 68000

11. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Neither in Denmark with Telia but my iPhone is Apple approved unlocked through iTunes :D

12. fishmoose macrumors 68000

What how do you get approved? As soon my contract is out i want to change to something else, telias dataplans sucks

13. Ballis macrumors 6502a

Well my iphone is bought in the US and AT&T locked so i guess regardless of what the situation is in Norway, my phone wont be unlocked.

14. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I am in the UK no unlocked message. Would somebody put in a SIM and test their phone? I am 99% certain they will still be locked.

15. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Telia told Apple to unlock it. In Denmark you can get your phone unlocked at any point of the contract, although some require a fee to do so.

It took 3 minutes on the phone with Telia. They then send me and SMS that I would have to restore the iPhone and after that the phone were unlocked.

16. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Oh cool i think you need to stay with your contract and then pay a fee here in Sweden to get it done.

But my contract expires in 2010 so maybe a software unlock is available then

17. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

iPhones have always been unlocked here in Hong Kong. I got that message after 2.1. I just tried my wife's sim (another carrier) on 2.2 and it is still unlocked.

18. ivan123 macrumors member

ivan123

It's also the first time i've seen that message

Attached Files:

19. billandy macrumors regular

seems none of the "old countries" are getting the benefits of having the handset unlocked. can't see why, equivalently we pay way more than say, HK subscribers, in terms of monthly tariff and yet we can't have ours unlocked! why are the network operators so worried? we've signed contracts that're worth £35+ a month and we pay by direct debit all with very good credit history.

the only reason i see is that they want us to roam our phones all the time, which is ridiculous if you're on a long summer holiday abroad. i really don't think they care about their relationship with highly valuable customers, those bastards only have £££ in their spectacles. the network's crap, the contract's expensive, the c/s are all re-routed to a small village in india where those people probably have never seen even a picture of london, not to mention any understanding of particular needs of their customers, and now we little old world people aren't granted the unlock for obviously no reason whatsoever... the conclusion had to be WEAK, WEAK, WEAK!!!

20. baranfanfa macrumors newbie

Did anyone who got their phone unlocked buy it abroad (say US or elswhere where they sell locked phones)?

21. FrogTastic macrumors regular

FrogTastic

22. Gymnae macrumors newbie

If I connect to iTunes via a proxy in NZ or via a VPN Server in NZ and with a NZ credit card, could I then unlock an international phone? That would be the easiest, safest way... but I guess it's to good to be true

23. billandy macrumors regular

it's almost certainly linked to your serial number. unless you manage to find a way to change your serial number, it probably won't be the case

24. heaven macrumors 6502a

heaven

That would be amazing! :cool:

25. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001