iPhone XS Max iPhone Unlocked through BestBuy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by navigates, Nov 4, 2018.

1. navigates macrumors 6502a

I have a bestbuy gift card of $547 which I want to use to buy an unlocked iphone. Which one should I because I can't see a sim free version there?

2. gurase macrumors 6502

Be careful, the “unlocked” phone sold by Best Buy actually locks to the first sim inserted. I think if you put in a Verizon sim first, it will be unlocked though.

3. navigates thread starter macrumors 6502a

I need it international unlocked. I travel a lot internationally and would not be able to use the US only unlocked version. If I pay the full price won't it be internationally unlocked?

4. Shadowbech macrumors 601

If you buy from Best Buy, the phone is under the "Reseller Flex Policy". In fact Best Buy does sell the Sim - Free Model as none of them have sim inside but they bring out a separate sim card for that carrier. I don't think they sell stand alone. The problem here is that you if you activate with a carrier like AT&T/T-Mobile/Sprint, it will then lock to that carrier once you activate the device. You will need to then request to have it unlocked. As for Verizon model, they recently changed their policy as well so it will be locked but think that only happens if you buy it directly from Verizon? I know that buying it full price from Apple Store is comes unlocked.

5. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

If it locks to a carrier because of the Apple Reseller Flex Policy then it locks both domestically and internationally.

You'd then have to deal with the carrier to get it international unlocked.

6. Azathoth123 macrumors 6502

On a recent trip to the local US Apple store I asked and got an answer consisent with @Shadowbech and @eyoungren

All phones sold at the Apple store are unlocked. If your carrier locks it, that’s an issue between you and the carrier, not Apple. Apple will not override the carrier’s TOU, and would likely be illegal for them to do so.

As always, if you want to be sure, just buy the SIM-free version.

7. navigates thread starter macrumors 6502a

It then makes sense to buy it and insert the international sim directly? I believe that would be the best option

8. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

That would lock the phone to the international sim.

I am going to give a advice which might not be a possibly in real world, it might work, I might not , I haven't tried it so I wont know but,

You can buy ATT unlocked on eBay for a dollar or two. The work as evidenced by thousands of positive feedback and personal experience.

MAYBE, this is a maybe, I dont know if this would work , maybe if you insert the ATT Postpaid sim in the phone, start and let the phone get locked and then use the eBay ATT unlock and get a fully unlocked phone?

I. am not sure if the Verizon trick still works .

9. navigates thread starter macrumors 6502a

The problem I'm having here is that I have a bestbuy 550 USD gift card that I'm trying to use else I'd never look into that option ever :(

10. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

I don't see what that has to do with what I just said. Buy the phone out right using gift card?

11. Azathoth123, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018

Azathoth123 macrumors 6502

Your best chance is what @gurase said. Get the Verizon phone bought outright - which will be activation locked at BB I believe - activate it on Verizon and afterwards, maybe 24h it will be unlocked to other SIMs. If you don’t want to activate on Verizon, then you have a problem buying from BB.

I could certainly be wrong but some wiser person will correct me.

EDIT: I just went to the BB site and did not see a SIM-free option listed FWIW

12. navigates thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right.Not sure if I can unlock if I don't have an AT&T Account though,.

13. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

eBay unlocks work whether or not they will work in this situation , I don't know but they work fine.