iPhone unlocked?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Check this out.

While the wizards are still working on a software-only complete unlock for the iPhone, hackers in Europe claim that they have completely unlocked the JesusPhone, allegedly using a SIM reader/writer and a blank SIM card to obtain full calling and SMS capabilities. Total cost: $96. Read on for the details.

While we haven't been able to test this ourselves—our SIM card reader and blank SIM cards are now on transit and should be here tomorrow— a Hackintosh forum member has been able to test the hack in the Orange UK network.
Original (i think) Hackintosh thread here

deepdark said:
ALL OK here

in /out calls works perfect
in /out sms works perfect

cheers

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Wouldn't this slow down the networks that are not yet ready for the iPhone? I mean it does send/receive a lot of data.

I'm in the US and don't know much about other networks abroad, but I'm pretty sure they are better than ours here in the States.

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Wow, pretty interesting.
But lets say you use a sim card from another cell company would the edge network and visual voicemail work on the Iphone?
Probably not though.
But as long as the phone and texts/emails work its not that bad.
Very good work. Would the phone itself need to be reprogrammed or just a simcard?

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
As a side note, youtube doesn't work using the supersim method.

Wow, pretty interesting.
But lets say you use a sim card from another cell company would the edge network and visual voicemail work on the Iphone?
EDGE works. Visual voicemail not.

But as long as the phone and texts/emails work its not that bad.
Very good work. Would the phone itself need to be reprogrammed or just a simcard?
Just the SIM card.

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Interesting how the Youtube application dont work. I figured it would work as long as theres a wifi or any type of internet connection.
I guess they locked it up pretty good.
But its only a matter of time till they completelly hack it. Maybe a year or so.

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Cool, alot of good stuff and good work people are putting into this project.
There's going to be tons of stuff for the Iphone a year from now IMO.

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
I doubt it, its only software related.
Nothing that cant be fixed with a full restore IMO.
Its like throwing away a computer if the software is messed up. YOu can always format and reinstall everything clean.

Is it possible for Apple to turn unlocked iPhones in 'bricks'?

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Lol :D
Yes it is.
I see so many people that have viruses or spyware that drags their system to a crawl go out and buy new PC's.
They're great for a month or so untill they mess them up and they're just as slow again :D

Isn't this exactly how the PC industry sells new machines?

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
I doubt it, its only software related.
Nothing that cant be fixed with a full restore IMO.
Its like throwing away a computer if the software is messed up. YOu can always format and reinstall everything clean.
So if its software related then couldn't a simple iPhone update turn it into a 'brick'?

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Highly doubt it, I dont think they'd completelly turn peoples Iphones to useless pieces of plastic.
YOu can always do a system restore and turn the Iphone to the same state as when you first bought it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
So if its software related then couldn't a simple iPhone update turn it into a 'brick'?
It's not super clear that this would be legal in the US... US law allows for software to be generated which unlocks a cellphone from a carrier, so if Apple were to retaliate by bricking those phones, it would seem that they would not be able to refuse warranty coverage. I'm not 100% sure, though, nor do I know of any test case that tries this out. Up to this point, I don't know of any company retaliating against unlocking software, at least since this change in US law was put in place....

I'm not sure about Apple "accidentally" not bricking them but returning them to locked status (so that you'd have to keep doing the unlock every time you update the iPhone). It's also probably possible for Apple to make iTunes refuse to put purchased songs on unlocked phones. That's all really speculation at this point, though.

Also I'm not sure it's impermissible for Apple to keep modifying new releases of the iPhone to prevent them from being susceptible to the same unlocking technique that works today.