iPhone unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xUKHCx, Aug 6, 2007.

1. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Check this out.

Original (i think) Hackintosh thread here

2. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't this slow down the networks that are not yet ready for the iPhone? I mean it does send/receive a lot of data.

I'm in the US and don't know much about other networks abroad, but I'm pretty sure they are better than ours here in the States.

3. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

Wow, pretty interesting.
    But lets say you use a sim card from another cell company would the edge network and visual voicemail work on the Iphone?
    Probably not though.
    But as long as the phone and texts/emails work its not that bad.
    Very good work. Would the phone itself need to be reprogrammed or just a simcard?

4. gallinger macrumors regular

Im in canada and want to do this. but will this unlock work here or only in Europe? thanks

5. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

As a side note, youtube doesn't work using the supersim method.

EDGE works. Visual voicemail not.

Just the SIM card.

6. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

Interesting how the Youtube application dont work. I figured it would work as long as theres a wifi or any type of internet connection.
    I guess they locked it up pretty good.
    But its only a matter of time till they completelly hack it. Maybe a year or so.

7. krimedog macrumors member

8. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

Cool, alot of good stuff and good work people are putting into this project.
    There's going to be tons of stuff for the Iphone a year from now IMO.

9. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Is it possible for Apple to turn unlocked iPhones in 'bricks'?

10. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

I doubt it, its only software related.
    Nothing that cant be fixed with a full restore IMO.
    Its like throwing away a computer if the software is messed up. YOu can always format and reinstall everything clean.

11. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Hmmm... I too am interested in the viability of this method in Canada.

12. shemp9999 macrumors regular

shemp9999

Isn't this exactly how the PC industry sells new machines?

13. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

Lol :D
    Yes it is.
    I see so many people that have viruses or spyware that drags their system to a crawl go out and buy new PC's.
    They're great for a month or so untill they mess them up and they're just as slow again :D

14. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

So if its software related then couldn't a simple iPhone update turn it into a 'brick'?

15. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

Highly doubt it, I dont think they'd completelly turn peoples Iphones to useless pieces of plastic.
    YOu can always do a system restore and turn the Iphone to the same state as when you first bought it.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's not super clear that this would be legal in the US... US law allows for software to be generated which unlocks a cellphone from a carrier, so if Apple were to retaliate by bricking those phones, it would seem that they would not be able to refuse warranty coverage. I'm not 100% sure, though, nor do I know of any test case that tries this out. Up to this point, I don't know of any company retaliating against unlocking software, at least since this change in US law was put in place....

I'm not sure about Apple "accidentally" not bricking them but returning them to locked status (so that you'd have to keep doing the unlock every time you update the iPhone). It's also probably possible for Apple to make iTunes refuse to put purchased songs on unlocked phones. That's all really speculation at this point, though.

Also I'm not sure it's impermissible for Apple to keep modifying new releases of the iPhone to prevent them from being susceptible to the same unlocking technique that works today.