iPhone unlocking by Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scottyUK, Jul 16, 2011.

1. scottyUK macrumors newbie

scottyUK

Hi Everyone

I have the iPhone 4 but I have decided to sell it on eBay.
    The handset was originally locked to my network provider and after I contacted them they agreed that they would unlock it for a one off fee.
    I paid the fee and a day later when I connected it to iTunes I got a message on screen saying "Congratulation's your iPhone is now unlocked"
    Is this permanent and by that I mean, will the handset remain unlocked when the new owner syncs the device to there iTunes as if it was brand new or will it revert back to a locked state?

Thanks in advanced.

2. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

it's permanent. You will see that message every time you restore the device with a new iOS version (not when updating, just when restoring).

3. scottyUK thread starter macrumors newbie

scottyUK

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

yes, it is permanent! :)

at least you have the oppurtunity to pay your carrier for an unlock. :D

5. scottyUK thread starter macrumors newbie

scottyUK

I was also wondering... My iPhone was locked and I had it unlocked then during my contract it was replaced.

Will the replacement be locked? Like I said; I have contacted my network to have it unlocked but I was just wondering because I don't want to pay the fee again.

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

The only the network you're with can answer that. Each network has different policies. That said I suspect the replacement will probably be locked.

On a related note I'm with O2 and they unlock for free. Both my iPhone 3G and 3GS were unlocked for free by them. I know Orange charge to unlock phones.

7. yateseyd1991 macrumors regular

Yes, a replacement iPhone for an iPhone that has been officially unlocked providing you get the replacement through Apple

8. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Was it replaced through a warranty or insurance policy (eg. due to damage, malfunction, theft, or loss)? Or was it replaced through an equipment upgrade or contract extension? Who replaced it? (Apple? The carrier? A 3rd party insurance bureau?)

Depending on how/why it was replaced, the status of the replacement phone, as well as the usability of the original phone, may be different. And it may vary from one carrier to the next.