iPhone unlocking in Canada...Please help me!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by parthc007, Sep 9, 2007.

1. parthc007 macrumors member

Aiight, so i just got an iPhone from the states....:rolleyes:yeahhh...

BUT
    I am in canada...so the question is...I desperately need to unlock the iPhone to be able to work with rogers...but HOW?
    Anyone know of anyone who has had successfully unlocked the iPhone in the past (either in US/CANADA)...and does it professionally or would do it for me:D??

Any suggestions/advices appreciated

2. NJDevils44 macrumors regular

NJDevils44

I also live in Canada, I had a relative pick up an 8GB iPhone for me this morning from California and he's coming here on Tuesday so I'm getting it then...

I am waiting on iPhone Sim Free

3. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    i will be watching this thread closely.

Please do us all a favor and report how it goes for you.
    questions:

-I'm assuming you are both on Rogers?
    -Do you already have a data plan?
    -If no, please tell us how the iPhone affects your phone bill
    -How is the user experience of the hack?
    -How is the user experience of the unlocked iPhone on Rogers?
    -Do you have to set it up to not be searching for Edge or some kind of CA equivalent?
    -Is it easy to get onto random Wifi? do you need to enter in the MAC address as well as the password to get onto the wifi?

thanks guys !!

4. Chiggs macrumors member

Successful iPhone Unlock in Toronto

I can confirm that I have an iPhone working properly on the Rogers network in Toronto. I used the instructions posted here:

http://modmyiphone.com/wiki/index.php/IPhone_unlock_OS_X_Part_1

The entire process took me just over an hour. It took a couple of tries with Step 2 but after that, it was smooth sailing. I have gone into the settings on the iPhone and disabled the Edge access to avoid a huge bill from Rogers. Not a big deal for me as there is free WiFi pretty much all over downtown...

Dropped my Rogers sim in and everything (including Youtube) worked perfectly.

5. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Is it easy to hop on and off of a wireless network?

6. gallinger macrumors regular

7. dcwckd macrumors newbie

If you cant figure it out. Get me on MSN, via a PM.

Ill guide you through it, in about 15 mins.

8. Clipse79 macrumors regular

Are you able to use the iPhone in all its glory on Rogers without getting a 5k cell bill?

9. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

That's what I'm wondering too, because Rogers really sticks it to their customers when it comes to data plans and that sort of thing.

10. DaLurker macrumors 6502

I'm using the iPhone with Rogers and I haven't used a single kb off the Rogers data network. I just neglect to put in the Rogers EDGE server settings and use Wifi instead.

The iPhone has been working very well :)

11. Clipse79 macrumors regular

Great! More encouragment to spend unneeded money =)....

12. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

What about other features? I know visual voicemail doesn't work, but does regular voicemail? How about conference calls?

Are their specific Rogers services that you have to subscribe to access these? I tried looking at their website, but its not straightforward. Currently I just have the most basic of accounts (talktime only)

Thanks in advance

13. Clipse79 macrumors regular

Riddle me this while your at it. Why are the 4gb phones on ebay going for more then the 8gb phone from apple.com?

14. DefCon65 macrumors newbie

I have one unlocked and working in Canada and it does auto-sense wifi so Edge is onyl used when needed. In three weeks, I haven't used 1/2 Mb of edge yet.........

15. kunaalarria macrumors member

Im using fido..and the regular voicemail worked perfectly...i didnt even have to input the number to dial...and my old nokia i had to

16. Canuck02 macrumors newbie

Hey guys Im using Fido on mine but arent u supposed to get notification or some kind of message when u get voicemails?...coz when people calls my cell then when they leave a voicemail, I dont get a lil notice or text sayin i got a voicemail...but i checked my settings and my sound on voicemail thingy is ON....anyhelp plssss.....

17. wiseguy macrumors member

wiseguy

Using iPhone in Montreal

No problems with Rogers, it's even sending me text messages when i'm missing a phone call. Voicemail have a little red dot when there's messages and also red dot on phone icon. What I like is when the music is muting when you receive mail or phone call, too cute... The only thing that I would like is to enter my password instantly when i'm calling my voicemail... I used to do it with my older phone.
    Also, how can I copy an attach picture from e-mail to my photo library.

18. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I am looking at buying an unlocked ipone thru Pure Mobile. Has anyone bought one thru them here? Also can I use the iphone with a pay and talk deal thru Rogers? (I have a contract with bell and dont want to dump it yet.) Does the iphone need a data plan to work? Cant I just use it with wifi? Thnxs guys and gals!!!!!

19. extremis macrumors newbie

Sorry to piggy back but I have some major issues, I got my iphone unlocked and I was able to use the WIFI the first day and now when I connect to WiFi I am eitehr disconnected without notification or if I am connected I can't open a webiste can anyone help me please!!!!!

20. extremis macrumors newbie

I am getting a message that says not setup with edge, could not connect through edge??

21. peteryuen macrumors newbie

22. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Assuming you're not a sockpuppet for this unlocking website, I'll point out that this thread is several years old, and the situation in Canada has changed since then.

For one thing, there are carriers selling iPhones in Canada now, so you don't need to unlock a foreign iPhone if all you want to do is simply get your hands on an iPhone in the first place.

Second, you can now buy iPhones direct from Apple in Canada, and they'll be unlocked out of the box.

Third, if you buy the phone subsidized through a carrier (and therefore locked), at least one of the major carriers, Rogers, will unlock your iPhone using Apple's authorized methods, for a fee. So there are alternatives to needing to "hack" your phone. The other major carriers (but not necessarily their discount sub-brands) have all announced that they also plan to start supporting authorized unlocking in the near future.