Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Will I be able to unlock my iPhone 3G and use it with another carrier? The reason being is not because the prices, I find them superb. My only issue is that where I live Rogers/Fido does not work (next to zero reception!) so I'm unable to use my .. phone.. part of the iPhone, haha. (I'm sure most of Eastern Canada has an identical problem.)

Bell Aliant is a superb carrier, especially for Eastern Canada, so could I unlock it and go to them?

• How do I unlock it? Is it expensive/free?
• If I unlocked it, how would I install further firmware updates?
• Once unlocked, how would I switch the carrier?
• Any additional information I should know?

Much appreciated, guys! :)

vanmacguy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Not where you live.
Will I be able to unlock my iPhone 3G and use it with another carrier? The reason being is not because the prices, I find them superb. My only issue is that where I live Rogers/Fido does not work (next to zero reception!) so I'm unable to use my .. phone.. part of the iPhone, haha. (I'm sure most of Eastern Canada has an identical problem.)

Bell Aliant is a superb carrier, especially for Eastern Canada, so could I unlock it and go to them?

No-one knows yet how/if unlocking will be possible. The crackers won't have been able to work that out yet, and probably won't until it's out in the wild.

For firmware updates, I suspect that you'll be in the same boat as with the first gen iPhone, in that you'll have to hold off on installing any updates until they too have been cracked.

No-one even knows yet if the 3G iPhone will be crackable?

Good luck though.

Cheers.

geeb

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2008

You cant unlock it yet. 2.0 unlock is still in the works, although there are hintsof an imminent release :) http://blog.iphone-dev.org

Once unlocked you just put your sim in.
You cannot update the phone fw until it is unlocked by the dev team or whoever.

You lose visual voicemail.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Thanks for the replies so far everyone! :D

you'd still have your Rogers contract though, so it would work out pretty expensive...
Care to elaborate? Not that I'd mind, as I'd use the lowest plan anyway, but would I activate it on Rogers, then call Bell Aliant? Why would I keep Rogers then? o_O

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK

Care to elaborate? Not that I'd mind, as I'd use the lowest plan anyway, but would I activate it on Rogers, then call Bell Aliant? Why would I keep Rogers then? o_O
you have to give the phone back if you cancel the rogers contract

Shackler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2007
behind you!

What he is saying is that you have to sign a 3 year contract to walk out off the store and is you switch to Bell Alient (i never heard of them but make sure its GSM provider) and have to pay an early cancellation fee to Rogers which i think maxes out at $200.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
<snip>where I live Rogers/Fido does not work (next to zero reception!) so I'm unable to use my .. phone.. part of the iPhone, haha.
Is that because there's no GSM coverage where you live? I'm not sure that even switching carriers would get you better reception (that is unless the iPhone can also use the CMDA network)... anybody know??

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Rogers will take your phone if you cancel the plan after i already bought and activated it?

They'll either take it back, charge you an early termination fee, or make you pay the contract for the rest of the minimum period.
They (Rogers) are subsidizing the cost of the phone, and one of the conditions of that is that you take a contract for service. If you break that contract by canceling it, they have recourse as mentioned above.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
What he is saying is that you have to sign a 3 year contract to walk out off the store and is you switch to Bell Alient (i never heard of them but make sure its GSM provider) and have to pay an early cancellation fee to Rogers which i think maxes out at $200.
http://www.aliant.ca/english/index.asp

So maximum $200? And then I still pay the normal from Rogers? Why do other companies allow this? o_O

There is no Roger's where I live due to the fact there's only one Roger's tower which is ages away. Almost any other carrier works (except Fido, conveniently).

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
You can't use it on anything other than Rogers or Fido, even if you do unlock it, because they are the only GSM carriers in Canada.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.