iPhone Unlocking with T-Mobile Help

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by stuckonreplay, May 16, 2012.

1. stuckonreplay macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I am new here and to the iPhone unlocking scene. Just a couple of questions:

1. How come the iPhone 3GS 8GB Unlocked is SO much cheaper on eBay than at an official Apple Retailer?

2. Please click here - is that a quality iPhone or some knock-off?

3. I am trying to sell my HTC Radar 4G and I formatted the memory and removed the SIM, but is there something I need to give to my buyer, like an IEMIE number or something?

Thanks

2. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

Well, the photos are certainly of an original iPhone insofar as that can be told from what they showed (besides, obviously, Apple's original marketing materials). But the pictures and what will come in the mail need not be the same thing of course.

You are not required to do any such thing. Some buyers may ask to check if it's stolen, though. I don't really see any harm in providing it upon such a request myself, but others may.

3. stuckonreplay, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012

stuckonreplay thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply - but another question, it says you shouldn't upgrade it in iTunes, because it could loose its unlocking feature, what is that about?

4. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

That means it's unlocked via a jailbreak and software unlock. You keep it as it is and the phone will be unlocked. Alternatively you can look for sellers in the US selling their 3G.. my dad got one for $120 in brand new condition and used it for over a year with no issues. Just takes time.

5. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that means they used an unofficial unlock. I'd stay away from those. Get one that is officially unlocked.

6. stuckonreplay thread starter macrumors newbie

They want $230 for a "new but software cracked phone" - do you think I should get it?

----------

Well apple wants a whopping $375! I am trying to find one for a little lower haha

7. noiceT macrumors 6502a

If you rely on an unlock for everyday use, factory unlocks (even though initially expensive) are the best way to go. Less headaches.

Buying from ebay, better check the baseband. If its running ipad bb, might not be the most solid choice.

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

umm 1st off you link is for a 3G iPhone not a 3GS hence the lower price! ;) also check Craigslist. I would some research before you spend your money. 8GB 3GS can not be unlocked by things like the Ipad baseband. AT&T is allowing factory unlocking now to so keep that in mind. it's up to you to learn so you don't waste your money it's not up to us to protect you.

9. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

No. The difference in cash is not worth the trouble. I guarantee you that you will at some point end up with an unusable phone SIM-locked to a carrier that isn't yours. (Unless it happens to be locked to your carrier and you have no intention of switching.)

Look on a bit for a factory or carrier unlocked phone.

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Your eBay link is for a 3G NOT a 3GS ...
    Try looking for a good price 3GS or higher on eBay, Craigslist or the best, the marketplace here if you qualify.

11. stuckonreplay thread starter macrumors newbie

I found 3GS for $270 factory unlocked - it says I can still enjoy the unlocked feature while upgrading the OS

----------

read the above reply

12. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

If that truly is a factory-unlocked (or carrier-unlocked, which amounts to the same thing for a 3GS) and you're ok with being a few models behind (there's the 4, 4S and this year the 6th generation phone) and you don't think you're overpaying with that, go for it.

I assume you misquoted here.

13. stuckonreplay thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I just purchased it for $255.00. iPhone 3GS Factory unlocked. I looked at all the later models and they were all $400 +. the more the latest models are released the cheaper the previous models get but the iPhone 4 will still cost a lot.

14. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I would also say to check craigslist. I would think at&t unlocked iphones would start to flood the market and lower the prices. I know we are selling ours in july when it goes off contract.