Iphone unlocking

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by izdor, Sep 23, 2012.

1. izdor macrumors newbie

I always wait to buy the unlocked version of the iphone since I travel a lot and need to switch sim cards (always use gsm networks)

But I recently found out that I can terminate the contract for $350 and AT&T unlocks the iphone.

My question is if it is the same to buy an att iphone and get it unlocked and buy a factory unlocked iphone, for international use?

If they are the same, the first one is far more convientent cause it ends up costing less: 199+350=549 vs 650 (which was the price for the 4s unlocked)

Can someone confirm this?

2. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

You do realize that unlocking iPhones (AT&T version) is easier than ever. There are a thousand reputable places that do it for between $15 and $40 (search eBay) or google. They use the carrier unlock through Apple, so they add you to the white list, and then when you do a restore and it goes to reactivate, your phone will show "Congratulations, your iPhone is now unlocked" ... AT&T has obviously become more relaxed. I had mine unlocked last night even though I'm on a 2 year contract. Mine was $20 for the unlock, but my friend just did his on eBay and took 1 hour for the unlock to be processed and cost him $10 ...

Don't spent anything more than $20, it's unnecessary.

3. izdor thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the input, I thought that the only way of getting it unlocked other than by carrier needed a jailbreak first.

Anyway, since I am not us based (and here iPhones cost is really high), I do not want to have a contract with an US carrier..

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Usually if you cancel before the first month you have to return the phone at the very least they will make you pay the same price as buying an off contract one.

5. izdor thread starter macrumors newbie

And in either case, the question is if it is the same to have it unlocked or to buy it factory unlocked from apple for international use purposes. Meaning if the unlocked iPhone is unlocked only for US carriers or anywhere, and supports all band speeds.

6. beef1218 macrumors newbie

Is there any risk with this unlocking service? Is it permanent? Would I be able to update to newer version of IOS (such as 6.1) later and still keep it unlocked?
    Thanks!

7. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yes, the unlock is permanent. I recently used Unlock Fusion off eBay to get my 4S unlocked.

8. beef1218, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

beef1218 macrumors newbie

Thank you!

Update:

I think I just successfully unlocked my iphone5. I paid someone on ebay $11 for the unlocking service. Sent him my IMEI and did a restore in iTunes. I got this iTunes screen after the restore:
    [​IMG]

I don't have a T-Mobile sim to test because I don't want to buy a pre-paid tmobile phone and cut the sim into nano-sim. I hope this iTunes screen in enough to verify the unlock.

9. dmbrem99 macrumors member

I plan on selling my unlocked iPhones (3G and 4). Is there any screenshot I can capture to prove it is unlocked to a potential buyer?

10. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If they're unlocked, restore them in iTunes, you get the message above when they turn back on.

----------

That's plenty. When my 4S was unlocked I never got the message from iTunes. I went to a T-Mobile store and tested out a micro sim of theirs. It worked perfectly.

11. vietalogy macrumors 6502

Yes remote unlock is permanent. The vendors add your imei to apples white list so it's unlocked. Not sure why is easier to unlock now then before but glad it is because I travel to over seas and had to bring a different phone before.