iPhone unsafe??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fooj, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Fooj macrumors member

The IT guys at my work claim that the iPhone is an unsafe platform to store network settings on, which seems to me to be rubbish, the US military use them don't they?

To me it's just as safe as a blackberry? It's it just ignorance from them or do they have a point?

2. heya macrumors member

did u ask him whey he thinks it's unsafe? Is it because he doesn't have one?

3. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Sounds like your IT guy is a "PC."

Oh, and he's wrong.

4. Fooj thread starter macrumors member

yes they love the PC here, can anyone provide some proof for the iPhone? I don't want to cart my iPhone and a blacberry when I could use one!

5. johnrs macrumors 6502a

LOL yeah I bet he doesn't have one

Until I got one, there was crap too.

Now that I have one, it the best thing in the world.. :D

6. 226896 Guest

People like to knock things they don't have / can't afford. It's called denian ;).

7. crazylegsmurphy macrumors 6502

OP, are you wanting to find the truth, or simply convince yourself he's wrong because he likes PC's?

In a way, it isn't secure. Anyone who gets hold of your phone can find your personal, and network information.

As well, how safe is the phone's encryption? I dunno, I haven't read anything about it.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Is-iPhone-Secure-63510.shtml

http://mobilitytoday.com/articles/iphone_3g_security.html

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6035_10...cJLGWWTqQcouCVgXr?forumID=131&threadID=306253

Search the net a bit, find some articles relating to what you're asking. Perhaps ask your IT guys to provide you with some evidence as well.

8. Archie- macrumors regular

The iPhone does not have full device encryption, so if there is any way to read the storage (e.g. through the boot loader) any data stored there can be read, unlike other platform that encrypt the whole enchilada and are government certified as secure.

Secondly, the device is still very immature, as can be seen by the security gaffes by Apple, e.g. the one where you could read some-one's contacts just be double clicking the home button (now fixed, but that was obviously major and embarrassing for apple)

In addition the device is a major target for hackers. Hackers, not crackers, but the tools developed by the hackers could easily be used by the crackers e.g. in the early days with the tiff exploit, and malicious hacker could have e.g. posted the same tiff on macrumors and owned all the iPhones visiting the forum.

Lastly, Apple's attitude of making it easier rather than secure has been a problem, e.g. where the iPhone stores VPN passwords on the device, which is a major no-no, as some-one who can crack your device password would have full access to the whole company network.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    What you might have remembered was that typical Jobs handwaving trick, designed to fool Apple fans... when he showed a movie with some military types in it saying they liked handheld devices. They never actually said they used the iPhone.

The iPhone is too delicate. There are plenty of ruggedized devices available.

However, the Army uses regular iPods with a translator program in Iraq.

Also, as a programming exercise, iRobot made an iPhone app to control their military robot. Again, the stock device would not be something you'd want to deploy, especially since many soldiers wear gloves these days.

Kevin (ex-Sergeant, Tactical Electronic Warfare)

10. crazylegsmurphy macrumors 6502

Holy crap...someone actually noticed that Apple does this besides me?

11. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Thank you. You are correct sir. I had changed it but was already quoted by the time I finished editing :)
    A lot of us notice. I've been watching (and making) dog and pony shows for over three decades. But Jobs is one of the most accomplished BS artists around.

It's amazing how he'll drop a line like "And boy have we patented it"... which really meant patent applications for their particular device... and let his fans swoon and make up their own idea that this somehow translates to Apple inventing everything they saw.

No doubt influenced by him, Apple's advertising department is close behind in skill. Like their website saying that the iPhone has GPS, turn by turn instructions, and a dot that can follow you. The way they string those together, you expect something quite a bit more than what's actually there.

I'm in awe, really. But it's fun too. Anything he or Apple says, you must take your time and pick out what they're actually saying versus what they're trying to make you think they said.

13. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

Indeed.

14. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

Did you not realise that Stevie J was a Jedi?

in the Nokia store:

"These aren't the phones you're looking for... go about your business...''

Cool trick; wish I could do it

15. Fooj thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the info guys, so in summary is the iPhone less secure than a blackberry?

16. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

In terms of its internal encryption: yes.

Realistically? The "advantage" the Blackberry has in terms of security is minimal, especially when you factor in that few Blackberry users (and none that I know of) even bother to lock down their devices in such a way that makes the security features useful. Unless your e-mail, contacts, notes or other data has "TOP SECRET" emblazoned on it, or your company is exceptionally paranoid about trade secrets, there is little justification for the security argument.

The old rule applies: If you have physical access to the device, you can probably get all the info you need from it. The best safeguard is to keep your devices away from prying fingers.

17. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Apple really annoys me sometimes.

18. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

There is no phone that is 100% secure. The BlackBerry can be hacked and cracked as well as the iPhone. Granted, it may be easier to do on the iPhone, but to say the phone is "unsafe" compared to the BlackBerry is silly. If someone wants your info, and they have your device, they'll get it.

19. Ish macrumors 68010

Ish

Especially to use on the queues when you want to buy an iPhone just after the 3G came out! :)

20. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

And if jailbroken and the necessary safeguards are not in place, you can get all the info you need from it without having physical access to the device. Just being on the same Wifi network can provide you all the access you need. This has been demonstrated many times.

Your IT guy is right.