iphone update 3.1.3. to 4.2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by reg3g, Feb 6, 2011.

1. reg3g macrumors newbie

hi ive got a 3g iphone and some of the apps i cant download as it says i need 4.2 software.

when i log into itunes it says that my software is up to date.

ive had a look on the net and the only way i can se that i can do it is by jailbreaking it and upgrading the basesoftware or something???

i stumbled on this site and was wondering if anyone can put me straight and tell me whats what with this iphone 3g

cheers

2. reg3g thread starter macrumors newbie

3. csnplt macrumors 6502

csnplt

If that's not working, you might want to try manually updating the software. Download the iPhone 3G 4.2.1 software update from http://appldnld.apple.com/iPhone4/061-9853.20101122.Vfgt5/iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw

BTW, this is from felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/ . It's a great site that has links to every software version for every Apple device.

Once you've finished downloading that, open iTunes and connect your iPhone. Now, assuming you're using a Mac, hold down the Option key and select Update in iTunes. This will allow you to choose the software you'd like to update to. Select the file you just downloaded and everything should be good to go.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I notice that you didn't post the version of your Mac/Windows software or the version of iTunes. If either is not up to date it may not pick up that a newer version of iOS is available.