Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
So, I was thinking about this- iPhone needs an update to embrace the new calendar functionality in Leopard. I thought I might wake up to a surprise announcement this morning. But- the iPhone is only available in the US right now, so it would make sense that they would enable the update to go live when Leopard is available to install legitimately- 6:00PM local time today. The iPhone also needs an update for notes to sync. So what are the chances that Apple will enable an iphone update in different time zones at 6 today?

bravedeer

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2006
I disagree

It shouldn't have been out already. The new iTunes with iPhone support was released on the same day as the iPhone.

I don't think it'll happen because they removed the bit that said you can view the Mail notes with the iPhone from the website.

ejrizo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Los Angeles
It shouldn't have been out already. The new iTunes with iPhone support was released on the same day as the iPhone.

I don't think it'll happen because they removed the bit that said you can view the Mail notes with the iPhone from the website.

if i remember correctly that is not true... and if it did it came out early that morning (because i left for vegas that morning and i already had the update ready to go for when i came back from my trip).... so i say that if its not out by like 1 or 2pm it most likely isnt coming.... but what do i know... if it doesnt add many new features im not upgrading... and besides all these features would have to work with PC's too so it might take a while before we get those things implemented

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Well. re evaluating all that is generally public information at this point.....

We know that Notes was prepped to sync with iPhone per a screenshot at Appleinsider from one of the Beta versions of OS 10.5

The shipped box (today) from Apple doesn't appear to support this feature..

Is it reasonable to assume that this functionality which apparently exists or existed during tests at Apple.... is just waiting for an iTunes or iPhone software update? like a 1.1.2 iPhone Leopard compatibility patch? in order to function..

I think that this theory is sound

iansilv

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
I think that they would wait to release it at the time Leopard is relaeased officially in stores. That would make the update go smoother as well- release it in tiers. And- think abotu this- Apple tells people "^:)) PM" for a reason- they mean tht is the time Leopard is released. Theyw ant to hold off on new announcements/features until then. So they can say to the world, "In the future, don't think that getting our product early will help you- in fact, some new features might not even work."

gceo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2007
San Diego, CA
I can't imagine them doing the update at the same time. I think they stagger them to spread out the calls to tech support.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
But- the iPhone is only available in the US right now, so it would make sense that they would enable the update to go live when Leopard is available to install legitimately- 6:00PM local time today.

That's the time Leopard is available in retail stores. Quite a few people (myself included) pre-ordered and had legal copies we could legitimately install on or before 10:30 a.m. today when the FedEx truck delivered our copies.

This is being typed on a legit copy of Leopard right now. Half an hour before retail release. :)

That said, 6:00pm on a Friday is a bit late to push an update I would think. We'll probably see an iPhone update next week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.