iphone update at macworld 08? am i crazy for waiting?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zipper1022, Dec 4, 2007.

1. zipper1022 macrumors regular

this topic has probably been covered but im trying to be cautious and wait until macworld to buy an iphone, just incase there is an update...

am i crazy?

i know there are subtle details that should and probably will be fixed like the headphone jack and the camera being on the back of the phone to disable video conferencing.... any chance they will fix them by MW 08?

2. avalys macrumors 6502

My theory is that a new iPhone may be announced at Macworld 2008, but it is unlikely to be available before May/June.

There is no way that you will be able to buy a new iPhone in January, even if one is announced. As has been said before, any physical changes to the phone or changes to the radio (i.e. 3G) require another round of FCC certification, which is open to the public, and we have not seen any documents about this yet.

So, if you are fine with a new iPhone being available in June 2008 after you've had yours for six months, then yes, you're crazy for waiting. If you are unhappy with that possibility, then you should wait until Macworld to see what happens.

If history is any guide, people's expectations of new Apple product releases are too optimistic. People seem to start expecting a product update every 12 months, and Apple seems to deliver them every 18-24 months. Maybe the iPhone will be different - but I'd say it's even money that we'll see a new model announced at Macworld 08. Remember that Steve will probably be talking about the new developer SDK - and he will probably not want to blunt excitement about that by announcing a new iPhone model.

3. SRSound macrumors 6502

Gosh I hope not cause I am too!! (waiting for an official announcement at least...)

EDIT: I'll get it when we get official iChat or a hardware upgrade; whichever comes first

4. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

how will the camera fit in the front? I know some cell phones have the type of revolving camera but that would remodel the entire interface of the iphone. and, if the camera was in front how could you see what you are taking a picture of???
    i know voice chat would be awesome, but first I would like a higher-quality camera.

I feel you about waiting for the next iPhone, but honestly, I just got my iPhone a couple months ago and it is awesome. I have a few 3rd party apps running, but I mostly just use apollo. Just buy it, you won't be sorry, and soon (hopefully february) the SDK will be released and we can all enjoy great apps directly from apple.

5. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

My prediction is for updates to the MBP and the new ultra portable Mac. No iPhone update aside from some new info on the SDK. Personally, I think we won't see a new iPhone in the US until May or June (e.g., 1 year after the launch).

--DotComCTO

6. cplusON3R macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I was gonna wait too but I couldn't take it anymore so I bought one 2 weeks ago and like most, I'm glad I got it. Its just friggin' sweet! :)

7. kimguroo macrumors member

I agree!
    I guess apple will announce new iphone in middle of 08 then sell it late 08 or even early 09. I think most of iphone owner loves their iphone but most of complains come from people who does not have the iphone.
    if new Iphone only have 3G upgrade (maybe 16 GB), then people continue to complain about camera, video conference feature etc...... there will be millions of complains.

Iphone is the best!

8. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

I believe that the iPhone isn't going to follow the usual life cycle. As said before because of the FCC things can get delayed and are public so very soon may not be a possibility. Then, the iPhone is really great as it is and if any non-software update is to be seen is probably insignificant, or very modest in order to avoid the already mentioned factors. Buy the phone, truly you wont regret I just love mine soo much, and for video chat I honestly dont see that happening in a near future.

-Victor

9. iansilv macrumors 6502a

buy it dude. It will change your life. Seriously- for me, there is time before I had an iphone, and time after.

10. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I think we will not see new one until 3G.

They wouldn't dare put out a 3G in January, Europeans would go mad, they are already mad about it having edge.

11. erandall38 macrumors 6502

Why would Apple announce a new iPhone that was going to be availabe 6 months later? This would completely cannibalize sales of the V1 iPhone from January on to the next one being released.

12. iansilv macrumors 6502a

That whole FCC thing...

13. erandall38 macrumors 6502

Getting FCC approval is not announcing it. Apple will not make a widespread public announcement for the next version iPhone if it is coming out in months. if it is coming out rather soon then yes.

As you can see from the past Apple is rather good at gettin FCC approvals and patents done with out us even knowing what they actually are for. Lots of times we make guesses that seem to make sense, but then most of the time we are wrong.

Again the point was not that Apple would not okay it with the FCC, but that they would not cannibalize v1 iPhone sales by announcing it way earlier than they had too.

14. chewbee macrumors member

Keep this in mind...

last July, if you asked, "When will Apple lower the price on the iPhone," people here would have told you "NEVER!" or "18 months from now!"

We know how that worked out.

15. Apple321 macrumors member

buy one now! I just bought mine a few days ago and its great. Like other posters said, the macworld will be all about the new MacBook pros and the SDK. Apple wouldn't dare to water down these two annoucements with another. Plus it will kill iphone sales for months and anger holiday buyers. Don't worry I don't think we will see a new one for a few months.

16. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

buy now.

anyone who disagrees with me: you're wrong.

17. zipper1022 thread starter macrumors regular

i really want to buy one... you guys have no idea. i want one so bad

BUT

if they announce one at MW ill be mega pissed so i think im just gonna wait until the christmas rush is over, and get one on january 16th, i waited this long, i can wait another 42 days

18. mikesk8 macrumors member

I guess that Apple will focus on new phone firmware updates now ...many nice features are missing and it is software specific (not hardware) .... new hardware release...Q3 2008 :)

19. GTiPhone macrumors regular

LOL

What?

You think these are things that will change? You think video chat from the iPhone is in the near future?

Then yes, I agree with your thread title, you are in fact crazy.

20. iDanielbk macrumors member

my contract doesnt run out till Sept Next year after it runs out and there isnt an announcement about a new iPhone shall i go out and buy that one that is out now?

21. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Haha I like the way you put that.

...and y'know I more or less feel the same. It's by no means perfect but it works for what it's intended to do.

There'll be info on firmware 2.0 at Macworld maybe and 16GB available March-April. That's my prediction. (3G, version 2 hardware next autumn).

22. idealEric macrumors newbie

Actually, not to contradict everyone, but I think announcing a new iPhone at Macworld is very possible. Most rumors on the web say June ish of 08, some even as early as March for its release. We already know that the 3G iPhone is on for next year because the CEO of AT&T confirmed it, but when next year is really the question. I personally am waiting. If I'm going to spend 300 plus dollars plus a hefty 2 year contract on a phone, I think waiting a little for a better model is completely worth it. I would wait till at least Macworld to make up your mind. I mean its only 20 ish days away and that way, you can see what is and what isn't said and make up your mind then.

23. jbuckner macrumors member

jbuckner

I'm one of the people waiting until MacWorld. I was going to buy myself a iPhone for Christmas, but then I thought about a refresh of the iPhone at MacWorld. I would be very upset with myself if I waited this long to get one and I couldn't wait another 20 or so days to see if there was a refresh or not.

I think that we might see more memory added to the iPhone at Macworld. If I can get a 16GB iPhone for the current price of $399 or for a hundred dollars more at $499 then I'll be glad that I waited until MacWorld.

I do know one thing, come Jan 15th I'll have my new iPhone in hand; refresh or not.

24. sixth macrumors 6502

I believe Macworld will be all about the Mac Pro, Macbook Pro (MAYBE) and the Ultralight. Only thing iPhone is going to be how many have been sold, and more info on the SDK...maybe even a little sneak peak on some of the SDK info like programs...other that there is no way the iPhone will get a redesign etc, the only thing POSSIBLE is a bump to 16gb...which means nothing for the iPhone population.

Just buy one.

25. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I think that any change to the hardware, including storage upgrades, will require an FCC cycle. Therefore, I don't think we'll see any minor bumps to the iphone until the next major (3g) feature addition. I don't think Apple will announce any new iphone hardware at MW. And if they did they would be pre-announcing for several months down the road after FCC approval... which would cannibalize current iphone sales... so I don't think they'll do that.

There is zero chance that Apple would announce and ship a new iphone so close to the European launches and Christmas. Look how mad people were when they lowered the price so soon after launch. It doesn't make much PR sense to piss off their partners.