Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carlmattheis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
I have a first gen iPhone (8gb) and was updating it to 2.2 when iTunes gave me an error message. So my iPhone disappeared from the side bar but my iPhone still was trying to update so i left it for a few hours and when I came back the iPhone was still at the same place. It has never been jailbroken. I would like to know if theres a way to fix it myself. I dont live near a genius bar the closest one is about 400 miles away.

:apple:Thanks:apple:

bradenwh

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
Uhh

Unplug it from the computer.
Hold down the home button and power button at the same time until the phone shuts off, then let go of them.
Get your USB cord, and hold down the home button as you plug up your phone to the computer. Keep holding the home button until you see a photo of the USB cord and the iTunes logo on your iPhone.

iTunes will say it's found a phone in Recovery Mode, and will ask you to restore. Do a restore, and then everything should be fine.

carlmattheis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
Thanks

Thank you for your help but I fixed the problem on accident. It's kinda funny my iPhone is missing the power button,the headphone jack, the ringer on/off switch and the volume rocker. So I didn't think I could put the phone In recovery mode. But I just let the phone die and then pluged it in and iTunes saw it and I was able to restore it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.