iPhone update help!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by codydboyce, Aug 25, 2011.

1. codydboyce macrumors newbie

Hi all, first post here

I haven't plugged my iPhone into my iTunes in quite awhile. Since my last update/sync, I've done a system restore on my laptop to help clean it up. Now when I plug into iTunes, it's getting ready to erase all the data on my iPhone (including new apps I've downloaded since my last sync) and start fresh.

Is there any way to drop all the data that's currently on my iPhone into my iTunes? I don't want to have to reset everything, and re-arrange all my apps, etc etc. I just want to update the phone and be done.

Any tips? Can I log into my iTunes account and get the same data that I had before I did my system restore?

Thanks!!
    C

2. normanbates macrumors regular

You should be able to back up all your data, however apps and music will not back up.

You can transfer your 'purchases' from the phone into iTunes before updating but if you've not got the music you will lose that.

Saying that there is a Windows application called xilisoft iPod rip that'll grab all your music from your phone for you and it supports iPhone 4

3. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

You can use a Windows program called SharePod and this will allow you to download all of your music from your iPhone and even give you an option to copy it into iTunes. This will help you save what you have.

P.S. Syncing is a good thing, not evil. Having a backup has saved many individuals.

4. normanbates macrumors regular

The problem I have with syncing, and in general I rely on it now, is that I once needed to recover from a back up that I'd saved and iTunes grabbed it but then during the process it was copying it to somewhere else on my hdd and didn't have enough room so it failed and I had to start over

5. megapopular macrumors 6502a

If you right-click on the iPhone icon in the left panel of iTunes you should be able to select the option to back up your iPhone. That will copy your contacts, apps, etc... Sharepod should allow you to copy your music back to your iTunes. Good luck!!

6. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

http://guy.com/2011/03/19/a-guy’s-guide-to-pulling-media-and-data-off-of-your-idevice/