iPhone Update Vaporware

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sanford, Sep 25, 2007.

1. sanford macrumors 65816

Okay, who besides me is no longer interested in debates over unlocking, or how that should be handled, or intentional bricking, or unintentional, or empty threats or warnings or blah blah blah and has just finally reached the point... After waiting and watching these forums, since the iPod touch arrived with the WiFi Store working... Waiting for the update day after day after day... Finally reached the point where you are just disgusted by the whole thing and really don't give a damn about the update anymore, if it releases in five minutes or on Ash Wednesday next year?

2. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I'm always excited about the updates. When they release them they release them.

3. overcast macrumors 6502a

Umm, there are a few of us that are in touch with reality and can have meaningful discussions without getting all up in arms. I'm definitely looking forward to future updates!

4. sanford thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh good. I'm so proud of you. It was a simple question: Who's tired of the interminable wait? Glad you took the opportunity to pat yourself on the back.

p.s. Even as much as I've lately been involved in them, I can readily admit discussions about iPhones don't meet the standard for "meaningful". They're all like Xbox 360 vs. PS3 debates. Devoid of substance and dependent almost solely on personal preference.

5. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I am tired of waiting, checking for updates but it's out of my hands and the days are diminishing. I'm hoping it's today.

6. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

Ohhh Please let today be the day I get my update containing the new international keyboards! I can't wait to send my friends in Botwana a text in their own language!

The whole thing is Crap. My updates come from installer.app since Apple is incapable of producing anything valuable for the iPhone as of yet. They can keep their wifi store and Swahili keyboards, give me more meaningful stuff like Exchange support, video, MMS, copy and paste, you know, stuff normal smart phones have had on them for years.

7. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

I really don't care much for them anymore. Not the waiting part, but just the fact that 3rd party apps are growing traction and getting better and better and then as soon as I update all of that is going to be temporarily taken away. And that fact that having my phone hacked could "brick" it just turns me off as well. I'd rather have a more functional hacked phone than one with a stupid wifi store.

8. sanford thread starter macrumors 65816

Ahh. Commiseration. Thank you. Anyway, if it is today it will be 5PM or a little after, PDT. I used to work in the software industry and if you're releasing an update, especially a fairly big one, you set the date, but you don't release until right before the end of the workday. That way, even if it's already certified for release, QA has all day to pound on it and check for any last minute critical problems not previously caught. Make sense, but it can be annoying to end users expecting you to shove something out the minute you get to the office the morning of release.

9. sanford thread starter macrumors 65816

Opinion only, but I think unlocked phone = brick, hacked phone = maybe nothing, maybe temporary wait, maybe kind of long wait based on iPod touch hacking attempts, to get 3rd party apps working again.

But, you know, unlocks or no unlocks, Apple did have some momentum going for this update with WiFi Store and some of the leaked enhancements from last week's London announcement. But I think they've lost it all by now.

10. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

Stability issues aside, the potential new feature set is of little interest to me. Would I like to have the update? Sure. Is the wait annoying me? Nope.

Frankly, I'll be more excited when Apple tackles the real things that people want: iChat, Exchange ActiveSync integration (for corporate support), copy/paste, MMS, landscape email (and landscape support for all apps), a real public SDK, Flash support, etc.

This next update is most likely just fluff (no disrespect intended to the folks that really want the WiFi iTMS). I'm glad Apple is making updates, I just wish they'd make some dents in the real list of "wants/needs".

:cool:

--DotComCTO

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

My two cents:

Apple keeps bringing up bride/groom comparisons, with respect to carriers.

It seems to me that they're also playing the coy virgin when it comes to giving out updates.

Perhaps this next one gives WiFi tunes plus multiple mail deletes. Do you see a pattern?

Just enough tease to keep the users panting.

:)

12. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

As many of the early adopters said (maybe to makes themselves feel better, or maybe its true), the iPhone as it sits now is worth 600.00. It is certainly worth the new price of 399.00.

A Wi-Fi store option is worth nothing to me. I would not update solely for that. Its just another money-grab by Apple (and it is getting rather pathetic). International keyboard- WHOA!- slow down my racing heart- that is SEXY (NOT!). The ONLY useful thing I find in the 1.1.1 is to turn off EDGE.

Then I look at Installer.app. There is some damn cool stuff there. A lot of it needs work, but it sure shows the potential of what can be done. And it really points out how disappointing Apples slow updates are. Not even a bone from Cupertino, and they have had more time to work on these than anyone. Weak.

But it will give Apple a new revenue stream or two. And give them a chance to bully on the unlockers (whether true or not). Apple has its priorities, and its not users.

13. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Totally agree!

14. sanford thread starter macrumors 65816

I won't argue WiFi Store as that's personal preference, and I agree EDGE roam is needed, but what about TV-out? That does matter to me.

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'm not sick of waiting...because Apple said sometime this month, and now they said sometime this week...they haven't postponed it yet!

16. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

I have 2 DVD players, an HD-Tivo, a Laser Player, BluRay and HD-DVD. Why the heck would I LOWER my standards to watch silly 480p? No, TV out- again, for me, I would easily trade App.Tapp for that!

Others may need or want that, but I bet more people find App.Tapp more useful than TV out. (I base this on nothing!):D

17. lampcov macrumors member

This update, assuming it's only going to be what was "shown" on the UK phones, isn't really an update of the functionality of the iPhone when you look at it from a US consumer's point of view (other than WiFi iTunes).

It's merely a localization update (read: international support) with some minor tweaks to meet the needs of international markets. It is like the last release of my company's software. We added double-byte support for Asian Languages, added other international (non-english) support, and tweaked a couple things we had time for. This release was purely to support international sales, and I fear that is what we will see this week for the iPhone.

Originally, I thought the placement of the WiFi Store icon was odd as it was right justified, I was secretly hoping that meant 3 other apps were just "hidden" and we had something to look forward to. That hope was dashed 2 days ago when at the apple store I saw a very large (and expensive looking) display with the iPhone screen showing that same odd icon placement. I thought, "If they spent all that money to make these signs for all the Apple stores, there is no way 3 new icons are gonna show up this release. That would render these displays out of date."

Ok rambled enough...sorry, needed to vent

18. sanford thread starter macrumors 65816

DVD check
    HD DVR check
    Laser Disc check (the few, the proud -- hey, but they still look and sound great for 480 and ProLogic)
    Blu-ray check
    HD DVD (not yet, can you recommend a quality player at a decent price as there are plenty of movies I want to rent or own on both exclusive Blu-ray and exclusive HD DVD?)

As for App.Tapp, no, you base on your needs, not nothing. That's cool. We'll use it more for hauling a couple movies around for the kids to watch, where they'll be a TV with composite (but not component, most likely) inputs, and no DVD player of any kind. I use my video iPod this way. We could of course just haul around a portable DVD with outputs and a couple DVDs, but it's more bulk. To be fair I could still just take the video iPod, which has more storage, anyway, and I already have the composite*A/V TV-out cable, and even S-video universal dock and AC adapter, for it -- the iPod touches and iPhones will require a new one, forthcoming and $50 -- for composite!!!! -- although it includes a spare AC adapter.

Okay, so basically I want the WiFi Store because it will suit how I want to buy from iTunes. Hum-dee-dum-da. Starting to sound like I'm all ramped up for just that one tiny bit of convenience!

19. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Just know it's coming, and it'll make your iPhone happy. It's not like you need it to use your iPhone, just hang in there guys...

20. sanford thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I thought they were hiding apps, too. But I think they did after all just stick the Store icon over the iPod icon. You know from the London demo models, they didn't even change to the Leopard-style 3D perspective icon dock like the touches either.

I'd throw in the TV-out as useful for me to some degree (see above). But that's really just a parity with iPod touch feature addition.

Unless the London demo models were just a middle stage internal firmware rev. they slapped a release version number on so they didn't look like dev. units. But, you know, I don't think so.

Vent away. I certainly have enough.

21. outkaste25 macrumors member

And how hard would it be to place a giant icon sized sticker in place of a "blank app"?

Just food for thought :D

22. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

It's the same way I deal with the annoying little "shift up" arrow that lights up on my YJ...a little black electrical tape and bye bye stupid arrow telling me when to shift.

23. lampcov macrumors member

Great....Thanks...now I gotta get up, drive to the mall, find a place to park, walk to the Apple store, and look to see if there's a freakin sticker on it....thanks man...wife is DEFINITELY think i've lost my mind now.....:D

24. outkaste25 macrumors member

ROFLMAO :D

25. sanford thread starter macrumors 65816

I think we've all lost our minds. Really, though, I think you're half right. This is Apple: they wouldn't cover over an icon, or slap up a sticky icon patch over an existing poster. But, this is Apple, they would pay for whole new posters right after having all those old ones done.

But I don't think there's another app coming this time.