iPhone updated to 6.0.1 without me knowing

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gslrider, Jan 21, 2013.

1. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

I updated to iOS 6 back in December, which meant I had to update iTunes 10 to 11. I normally backup my phone once a month. A couple of days ago, I did my routine backup, which went fine. But I did notice that iTunes 11 was telling me that my iOS was up to date with 6.0.1. Now I'm very meticulous when it comes to updates, because I've had a number of bad experiences with them. So I don't update unless I really have to. And I have iTunes setup so that it doesn't update automatically. At least that's how it was set up under iTunes 10.x So I'm wondering how my phone got updated to 6.0.1 without me manually doing so. Has this happened to anyone else? Is this something new with updates, or does it have something to do with iTunes 11 (which I find is terrible) set by Apple to auto update iPhones? I also noticed that under iTunes 11, I no longer see the check box for auto updates. Auto sync is still there, which I always have off.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iOS cannot update without a user telling it too. While there is a forced update ability with iOS 5+, Apple has never used it.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

iOS won't auto update. Someone had to initiate the process.

4. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Since iOS 6.0.1 was released back on November 1st, my assumption is that you updated straight to that, skipping iOS 6.0, when you "updated to iOS 6 back in December."

5. gslrider thread starter macrumors 6502

gslrider

That would be a totally logical explanation. Except I downloaded the 6.0 update earlier (before 6.0.1 came out), without updating. ie. choosing Download Only, as oppose to Download and Update. Just so I can update to 6.0 at any point when I felt comfortable. I used that 6.0 update software to update my phone. As well, I updated to 6.0 before 6.0.1 was released. About a week before. As I mentioned, I'm very careful not to update until I'm ready or have to. So I can't see any way why my phone has 6.0.1, instead of 6.0. Unless it was done automatically.

I'm the only one that has access to my computer at home. And the only one that has access to my phone. Strange. I'm just glad that I'm not running into any issues some have had when they upgraded to 6.0.1. I know several people who had their iphones get bricked after upgrading to 6.0.1.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

That is a pretty illogical reason for not updating. I have always updated on the day iOS updates are released. I have never had any problems whatsoever. This is across multiple generations of iPod touches, iPads and iPhones. I have owned almost every generation of every product. Zero problems.

7. gslrider thread starter macrumors 6502

gslrider

Just because it doesn't happen to YOU, it doesn't mean it's not happening to anyone else. You can go on many forums, and you'll find people posting problems after updating. So unless you have an answer to my question, best leave the preaching off the forums. And no it's not illogical. If you keep getting ripped off at one particular store, do you keep going back? Didn't think so. ;-) I know plenty of people that have been affected by bad updates.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

9. daudi macrumors member

can be an ota update by mistake or itunes 11 might have shown u an update notification and it might have updated or so. i think ota is the main reason. itunes 11 and preceding versions do warn you before updating.

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'm not preaching anything except common sense, logic and reason. If those are alien to your way of thinking, then ignorance is bliss and get on with your life.

Of course people have problems. Nothing is perfect. If I turn off my device while it's updating, I will have major problems. If the power goes out or surges, I might have a problem. But those problems aren't caused by the the update process itself. Picking out the extremely tiny and statistically unlikely/impossible is pretty narrow-minded. Does this mean you don't drive a car to work? Because people do get into car accidents. Or go to work? Because there is something called Worker's Compensation which means that people do get injured at work. Or avoid using a phone because you might get cancer from the barely measurable radiation?

The answer to your question is quite simple. You mistaken the version of iOS 6.x you updated too. Nothing in the world will automatically force your device to update. Apple has the ability to but to date have not used this ability. So by common sense, reason and logic, which seem to be alien and lost on you, it was probably your own doing. You claim to be meticulous, then why aren't you meticulous with your thinking?

11. laudern macrumors 6502a

He speaks the truth.

gslrider do you make backups of your backups? Or even backups of the backups which are backups for the backup? I have gone on to many, many forums with hundreds, if not thousands of people who have had corrupted HDD?

I honestly do not know why you are even using software which is still being updated. If I were you, I'd be using proven technology such as a NOKIA 3310 as my primary phone. Never would I need to worry about errors backing up or losing my valuable data from vulnerabilities in the OS.