iPhone updaters; what are the options??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Scott6666, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

For those of us who already have an iPhone and want the new one, I wonder what the ATT options will be?

* What happens to our existing contract? Do we just attach the new phone to the old contract? Do we have to extend terms for another 2 years?
    * Can we give the old phone to a family member to use on their ATT contract?
    * Will we get any of the subsidies, if any, for the new phone?

I haven't really seen any speculation on the upgrade path.

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Just a guess, but I suspect that this information will be detailed, at least for US customers, at the WWDC keynote. If not then, AT&T will probably have information on how they will do it shortly there after. I assume that the other carriers will probably detail this information soon their respective releases.

3. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

check out the search button on the forums.

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Awesome input. You definitely made this thread interesting. :rolleyes:

5. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

good, because otherwise it would be as boring as the other 20 posts on the same subject.

6. Scott6666 thread starter macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Sorry I'm boring you. If you want entertainment why not go to the movies?

Not to be disrespectful but I DID look at the forums beforehand and did not see the answer. I don't just post willy-nilly.

If see the answers in another thread how about posting a link to them? Maybe that will be enough of an intellectual challenge for you to shake off your boredom.

7. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Buying a new iphone at a Apple store will not extend your contract.

However, if AT&T offers a subsidized phone then you would need to resign a 2-year contract to be eligible.

You can give your current phone to anyone you seem fit.

8. Scott6666 thread starter macrumors 65816

Scott6666

So I know how the original activation process works. You go through iTunes and it automatically forces you to activate your phone with a new ATT account.

For those of you who were either already ATT users or for those who replaced a dead iPhone, what kind of options did you get? Does it easily let you add an iPhone to an existing account? Were you able to move your old phone to yet another account, say for someone else in your family?

9. Scott6666 thread starter macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Thanks, that's helpful. I am actually surprised that it does not extend your contract. ATT has so much leverage at the point of activation that I thought they would push it to extend the contracts even on non-subsidized phones.

10. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

If you haven't seen it on here, you aren't looking. There are absolutely countless threads on it.

A simple search would have given you countless threads discussing it.

Try using the word "upgrade" and searching this forum. :cool:

11. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

When you put your iPhone on att you have to sign a 2 yr contract. I'm guessing that when you get the new iPhone, you'll have to do the same thing.
    When you plug in a new iPhone to a computer that already has one it asks if you want to use a backup to restore the iPhone, or if you want to add that phone as a new device.
    There was a rumor that O2 is offering an upgrade path, but I don't know if its true and if att will do the same thing.