iPhone updates soon, Should I buy now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacGeekDC, Sep 22, 2008.

1. MacGeekDC macrumors 6502

I have been thinking about getting a White 16GB iPhone 3G and now with reports that apple may update the capacity soon I'm wondering if I should wait. I'm thinking that I should just go for it and in the worst case scenario I lose 100 bucks if the 16GB becomes the base model.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I don't actually KNOW anything, but using all the knowledge I have, I give those rumors a 5% chance of being true. Meaning, I still think that June 2009 is the most likely time for a 32 GB iPhone. Maybe a month or two before that, but certainly not in 2008.

Again, that's just my opinion, but I like to think I get these kind of guesses wrong more often than not.

3. MacGeekDC thread starter macrumors 6502

I think its more then a 5% chance because apple did it last year during the holiday season

4. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

The possibility of a capacity update was there for the "Let's Rock" event. It was a slight possibility. That possibility is still there but as far as I know it is still very minimal as it is believed that the 32Gb chip is too expensive at the time for Apple to turn a good profit. They can put 32Gb in the iPod touch because they have enough room for two 16Gb chips in it and this is not the case with the iPhone which has a ton of different radio antennas and additional circuitry.

I think that the possibility of a capacity is still several (at least 6) months away but the choice to buy or wait is yours alone.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So they did it once. They won't do it again. It's not happening this year.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That's where 4% comes from. Without that past evidence I'd have given a 1% chance. :D

7. MacGeekDC thread starter macrumors 6502

haha of course

8. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

"So, you're saying there's a chance? WOOHOO"

9. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Last years iPhone, the higher capacity iPhone didn't come out till February of this year. That was a full seven months till the upgrade happened.

I suspect it will be at least six months before we see an iPhone upgrade this year.

11. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Maybe I am just drawing a HUGE blank here, but weren't the capacity increases in February or March? That is not holiday season at all.

The "update" in September last year was more of an adjustment to boost sales based on trends of a new device. The iPhone was a completely new product at that time, and Apple didn't have the greatest idea of what the sales would be like price wise and capacity wise, that is why there were the adjustments last year.

In means of any adjustments or capacity changes any time soon, I just don't see it happening. If Apple were going to do any minor changes, then they probably would have happened during the "Let's Rock" event. The current prices and capacities are plenty popular and probably aren't going to change any time soon.

If anything, Apple would use the Christmas and Holiday season to help get rid of their stock of 8GB iPhones so they could scrap that model come early-2009.

12. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes, the update happened the first week of February this year.

13. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

The brand new 3g only came out like 2 months ago. A 32GB wont be available till atleast 2009 in my opinion, but i could be wrong. But i got an 8gb so i never plan on updating to even 16, so i wont need a 32GB version.

14. 88michael macrumors newbie

I think there will certainly be a 32GB iPhone but not so sure next year. It is very unlikely that Apple will release it at MacWorld 2009. There definitely should be some iPhone changes around June 2009.

15. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

they didn't release the 16gb until february. the only thing they did during the holidays was drop the 4gb and reduce the price of the 8gb.

16. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Cmon DO IT DO IT

Attached Files:

17. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

You either wait or you dont because no one knows 100%, so if you eally want that phone go for it, but if you wanna wait, you may be waiting for a while

18. Manatee macrumors 6502

Manatee

I just upgraded to the 3G 16GB. I know there might be a 32GB soon, but based on the amount of storage I'm using now, and the volume of apps and data I'm likely to add, I won't even be anywhere near 16GB by the time I buy my *next* iPhone (whatever comes out a year from now.) That's my reasoning in going ahead with my upgrade now.

19. iphonecode macrumors member

Buy now.
    I suspect it will be at least six months before we see an iPhone upgrade this year.