iPhone upgrade advice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mguzzi, Jun 6, 2015.

1. mguzzi macrumors regular

I am one of the lucky ones that has unlimited data. I have had the same plan since the 3GS was released and my wife and I currently pay $130.00 a month for two iPhone's with unlimited data with more than enough minutes and a few hundred text messages. I have the 64gb 5s and she has the 64gb 6. I have never had to pay more than a $100.00 for a new phone as we are on opposite year upgrades and we each keep our phones for two years and then sell them which pays for the latest iPhone. I don't see any way that switching plans or going with NEXT saves me money. My 5s will be two years old in September and I have Apple care. Should I try and get a replacement with Apple care due to the battery wearing down and keep the 5s as long as possible? Try and get a 6 with a new two year contract or hope that I can possibly get a new iPhone on launch day one more time under contract.

2. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Since you have the unlimited data plan that works for you (and assuming your iPhones are subsidized), I would say to take advantage of your Apple care (after all, you paid for it!) and get the iPhone 7 next year. That way, you and your wife can both have the same iPhones!

Going for an iPhone 6 at this point is not the best idea.

3. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

I have unlimited data with AT&T as well. And my contract ends this year. I plan on getting the next iPhone 6 Plus (what ever it will be called) this fall provided the new iPhones appear.

Now if I had the same situation as you (battery dying) I would use Apple Care for that and keep the 5s until my contract expired, then get the next model. I agree with what you said about AT&T Next. That's not a deal at all, as you are paying full price for the phone under an installment plan. The last time I was in the AT&T store they tried to lure me away from my grandfathered unlimited data plan and steered me toward the Next plan. When I pointed out that I'd be paying full price under an installment plan and saw no advantage for me, he kind of just shut up and that was the end of the conversation. Now, if getting the next iPhone is not important to you, then you might want to take another route (as opposed to keeping your 5s). Guess it just depends on your priorities.

4. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

I'd personally use Applecare and get a new 5S and wait it out until the 6S or 7. I certainly wouldn't buy a 6 right now.

5. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Agreed. The iPhone 5s is a really capable iPhone. If it had a 4.7" display, it would basically be an iPhone 6.

6. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

$130 for two phones with unlimited data just isn't worth it. I finally got rid of my unlimited plan because I realized that through the years, the most I had ever used in a month was 12GB, and that was worst case emergency.

I pay $140 now for three phones and 30GB of data, which is still more than enough even though I tether my iPad daily, and frequently tether my Mac.

Why keep the unlimited plan just to say you have it?

7. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

8. DarrenStevens macrumors newbie

If the battery is the problem, then there is no deductible as it is a warranty replacement. So it is free. That is a no brainer - get the free warranty replacement. Even if you are going to sell it or keep it as a backup, you should get the free warranty replacement.

The problem with waiting to use your upgrade is that ATT has made it clear that 2 year contracts are on their way out. They have already cut out 2 year contracts at 3rd party retailers including Apple. How long before they eliminate them entirely? I don't know. I would hope they will still be around by the fall but who knows.

9. Matheew944 macrumors regular