iPhone upgrade conundrum

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pmontanarella, Sep 13, 2017.

1. pmontanarella macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I have a decision to make regarding how to proceed in terms of getting a new iPhone. I currently have a 6s and have no complaints to be honest, except for the battery which is abysmal. Literally today by 2PM I had 15% left, and that's not even using my phone much. Apple says the battery is fine and there's nothing they can do in terms of replacement (my AppleCare+ runs out in a couple of weeks). So I'm set that I need a new phone. I'm realizing now though that the iPhone 7 would be just as good for me as an 8, there really aren't many huge new features I can think of that make me want to get the 8... other perhaps than future proofing.

Am I crazy for wanting the 7 instead of 8? Also, does anyone have any ideas of how to solve my battery issue otherwise since Apple won't help. I feel like I could make my 6s last another year easily if only my battery was fixed.

Thanks!

2. tobeornottobe macrumors regular

I am in the same situation as you. My 6s battery is abysmal even though apple already replaced the battery with a brand new one less than 1 year ago. Now the iphone 8 performs almost the same as the 7, and I think most people will gravitate towards the 7 and the X. I really have no idea what is the 8 for. Seems totally redundant.

3. pmontanarella thread starter macrumors 6502

What is your plan then? iPhone 7?

4. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Use battery life, to get the battery wear level

5. vtgeek macrumors member

Backup and strip your phone and build it back fresh manually installing software. Sucky but it needs to be done. iMessage in the cloud is a feature I am looking forward too so the messages can be saved(as an aside). I had not done this in years and was running down my iPhone 7 in under 4 hours. The phone got hot, the phone behaved badly. Post restore back to 10-12 hours of battery life. Fast forward today, back to my 6, which has a restoration of the 7 and its battery is working great now too.

6. tobeornottobe macrumors regular

I will probably go with the X.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Agree. I want to 7+ and I don't see enough of a reason to go to the iPhone 8 personally. With the iPhone 8, it does have the upgraded processor, Tru-Tone, wireless charging capabilities, but to me, that's not really a major difference over my 7 Plus. The iPhone X will likely be my next choice Come October 27 for pre-ordering.