iPhone upgrade help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by youngsunnz, Jun 4, 2010.

  1. youngsunnz macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2008
    #1
    I have a situation which I need help with to get the new iPhone..

    I am not upgrade eligible til november and I dont want to wait till then. I have already sold my iPhone so I have about $450 dollars. I was wondering would it make sense for me to buy out my contract for $120 and then buy the iPhone for about $300 or how much ever the highest capacity is. Or will att allow iPhone owners to upgrade earlier. Also if I buy out of my contract will I be able to keep my old phone number. Because all I am doing is not having a contract with att but I will still be a customer paying montly price for service. Or if there is another option for me please let me know thank you.
     
  2. bova80 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2008
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #2
    I called ATT and they said i wasn't eligible for an upgrade til november as well but that i would be eligible for an iphone upgrade. so i asked so if an iphone comes out next week that means i can upgrade to it? and he said yes.
     
  3. Geckotek macrumors G3

    Geckotek

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #3
    You can't "buy out" your contract. You can cancel your line and AT&T will charge you the ETF. (similar, but not the same thing) In this situation, you loose your number...no way to keep it.

    Have you read through the upgrade guide?

    http://guides.macrumors.com/iPhone_Upgrade_Guide
     
  4. youngsunnz thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2008
    #4
    I want to buy out of my contract and keep my phone number is that possible?
     
  5. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #5
    If you cancel your contract with AT&T you then have to wait either 2 or 3 months before being eligible to purchase phones at the subsidized price.

    You're better off either waiting, adding a line, or just paying the full price. AFAIK, those are your only options
     
  6. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

    Loves2spoon

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2010
    Location:
    California
    #6
    I'm not due for an upgrade on any of my lines until July-October.

    If we add a line for $9.99 and get the new iPhone at a good price and put the other phone on a non data plan with cheapo phone can they transfer your # to the new iPhone? I've had my # for 10+ years, don't want to change it.
     
  7. bmms8 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2007
    #7
    if im not mistaken, why not just keep your number and pay the 399/499 pricepoint? you have enough money for the 399 version if the prices stay the same.
     
  8. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #8
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt' the 399/499 price point the [partial] subsidized price. Non subsidized is 500/600
     
  9. Geckotek macrumors G3

    Geckotek

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #9
    Did you not read my reply?

     
  10. bmms8 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2007
    #10
    yes you are right, but i dont see why the OP wouldnt be since his upgrade is just a few months away. i guess that is info he or she didnt provide.
     
  11. djransom macrumors 68040

    djransom

    Joined:
    May 14, 2008
    Location:
    Chi-Town
    #11
    That is correct.
     
  12. Geckotek macrumors G3

    Geckotek

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #12
    http://guides.macrumors.com/iPhone_Upgrade_Guide
     
  13. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

    Loves2spoon

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2010
    Location:
    California

Share This Page