iPhone upgrade help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by youngsunnz, Jun 4, 2010.

1. youngsunnz macrumors regular

I have a situation which I need help with to get the new iPhone..

I am not upgrade eligible til november and I dont want to wait till then. I have already sold my iPhone so I have about $450 dollars. I was wondering would it make sense for me to buy out my contract for $120 and then buy the iPhone for about $300 or how much ever the highest capacity is. Or will att allow iPhone owners to upgrade earlier. Also if I buy out of my contract will I be able to keep my old phone number. Because all I am doing is not having a contract with att but I will still be a customer paying montly price for service. Or if there is another option for me please let me know thank you.

2. bova80 macrumors 6502a

I called ATT and they said i wasn't eligible for an upgrade til november as well but that i would be eligible for an iphone upgrade. so i asked so if an iphone comes out next week that means i can upgrade to it? and he said yes.

3. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You can't "buy out" your contract. You can cancel your line and AT&T will charge you the ETF. (similar, but not the same thing) In this situation, you loose your number...no way to keep it.

Have you read through the upgrade guide?

http://guides.macrumors.com/iPhone_Upgrade_Guide

4. youngsunnz thread starter macrumors regular

I want to buy out of my contract and keep my phone number is that possible?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you cancel your contract with AT&T you then have to wait either 2 or 3 months before being eligible to purchase phones at the subsidized price.

You're better off either waiting, adding a line, or just paying the full price. AFAIK, those are your only options

6. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

I'm not due for an upgrade on any of my lines until July-October.

If we add a line for $9.99 and get the new iPhone at a good price and put the other phone on a non data plan with cheapo phone can they transfer your # to the new iPhone? I've had my # for 10+ years, don't want to change it.

7. bmms8 macrumors 68020

if im not mistaken, why not just keep your number and pay the 399/499 pricepoint? you have enough money for the 399 version if the prices stay the same.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt' the 399/499 price point the [partial] subsidized price. Non subsidized is 500/600

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Did you not read my reply?

10. bmms8 macrumors 68020

yes you are right, but i dont see why the OP wouldnt be since his upgrade is just a few months away. i guess that is info he or she didnt provide.

11. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

That is correct.

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

http://guides.macrumors.com/iPhone_Upgrade_Guide

13. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon