iphone upgrade in family plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by buddywalker, Jun 28, 2008.

1. buddywalker macrumors newbie

I am on the AT&T family plan, and my line is not currently eligible for an upgrade. Another line on my plan is however eligible, and I am wondering if that can be used to get the subsidized iphone price even though I want to use the iphone on my number. I know on normal phone upgrades we use each others upgrades all the time and it doesn't matter at all, but I am unsure on how that would work since the iphone data plan must be added as well.

Thoughts, comment, concerns? Anything is appreciated.

:apple:

2. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I believe that AT&T will let you upgrade like this. Not sure exactly how they do it, but in effect they will upgrade you to the iPhone (based on eligibility from the other phone), and then that phone will no longer be eligible. I think they switch the dates around on the phones in their computer system.

You should talk to someone at the 800# or e-mail them on the web site, and see if you can get a definitive answer though...

3. buddywalker thread starter macrumors newbie

4. buddywalker thread starter macrumors newbie

This may be really dumb, but I can't find an e-mail address anywhere on the AT&T website.

5. syclonefx macrumors regular

syclonefx

Login to your att account then click on this link

https://www.wireless.att.com/olam/contactUsAction.olamexecute

or once you login to you att account go to the bottom of the page and click on Contact Us

6. buddywalker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, I will post again once I get a response from AT&T.

7. buddywalker thread starter macrumors newbie

This is how AT&T responded

Dear Mr. Walker,

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail the new AT&T in regards to
    upgrading to the iPhone. I am happy to help you with your inquiry.

Unfortunately, with the iPhone it can not be purchased using one line
    and then activated on the other. According to the information we have at
    this time you will still be able to purchase the iPhone but the price
    has not yet been determined if you are not eligible for upgrade.

We encourage you to visit our web site often to view current and
    previous monthly statements, make payments and to shop for new product
    and service offerings. Thank you for choosing AT&T!

Sincerely,

Melissa Runyon
    AT&T
    Online Customer Care Professional

I think that it is ridiculous that they don't offer long time customers the same deal as they offer new customers. They are only losing money themselves by forcing me to wait longer to start paying them for the super expensive monthly plan.

8. And5555 macrumors member

Her response makes sense in the actual technical implementation of your end goal, but perhaps there is a way to do it if you talk to your local sales guy (or girl). A lot of the times, the representatives will tell you no because there's no apparent way to do it in their system, when things can always be finagled (did I spell that right) if it means selling you a phone (local sales reps are on commission).

Here's an example of why I would believe this to be untrue:
    Your other line (say it's your brother) decides to get the iPhone, but a week later decides that it sucks, so you two want to swap phones. I'm sure there have been plenty of times when a husband and wife swapped phones or something where the data plan had to be swapped too.

That being said, I don't know if you can or not; it just seems that it would be a slight implementation issue that is totally dependent on the representative/manager you talk to.

9. buddywalker thread starter macrumors newbie

I was not allowed to upgrade and was told that there was not a way for me to use the other line's upgrade eligibility. I will therefore be forced to wait a couple months to purchase an iphone. Oh well.

10. bmms8 macrumors 68020

go to another store or call AT&T because it is something they can do. I did it and others did as well. Good luck.