iPhone upgrade--need advice!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JerTheGeek, Jul 30, 2015.

  1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

    JerTheGeek

    Joined:
    May 15, 2014
    #1
    So I need some iPhone upgrade advice.
    I currently have an iPhone 5s 32GB. It runs fine, and I even have the iOS 9 PB on it and performance is great!
    But my contract is up in like 2 weeks, and so I am considering upgrading, just for a change.
    So, I am wondering what I should do. Should I get an iPhone 6, or wait for the 6s? Or should I just stick with my 5s? Maybe wait for the mythical 6c possible this spring? What do u guys think?
    Thanks!
     
  2. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

    nepalisherpa

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2011
    Location:
    USA
    #2
    You have a great working phone. At this point in time, I see no reason to not wait. We are about 1.5 months away from seeing a new release.
     
  3. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

    Newtons Apple

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2014
    Location:
    Jacksonville, Florida
    #3
    Before "scratching that itch" you have now, for a new phone, think about if the itch will return this fall when Apple introduces the new iPhones.
     
  4. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

    JerTheGeek

    Joined:
    May 15, 2014
    #4
    Very true, thanks!
     
  5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

    Applejuiced

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2008
    Location:
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    #5
    The iphone 6 is already over 10 months old.
    I would wait for the next iphone to be out and then consider your options. Most likely the iphone 6 will drop in price when the next model is out.
     
  6. Nelliebee macrumors member

    Nelliebee

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2014
    Location:
    New York
    #6
    You should definitely wait until September, because then you can decide between the new iPhone 6s or a discounted iPhone 6.
     
  7. eoblaed macrumors 65816

    eoblaed

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2010
    #7
    At the very least, wait for the 6S to be announced in a month or so and see what it's like.

    If you're going to upgrade, it seems like upgrading to the latest and greatest would be your best bet -- give you something you'll be happy with for longer.
     
  8. firedept macrumors 603

    firedept

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2011
    Location:
    Somewhere!
    #8
    As already stated you have a great phone that will last you till the next iPhone arrives from Apple. Wait it out. If the new phone does not offer anything really new in upgrades, maybe save some money by going with a 6 if the price is more reasonable.
     
  9. nburwell macrumors 68040

    nburwell

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    Location:
    PHL
    #9
    I would definitely wait. Especially since you mention how your 5s is still running great.
     
  10. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

    Newtons Apple

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2014
    Location:
    Jacksonville, Florida
    #10
    Do not forget that the 5S is worth some good money. Many seek it out for the size of the display
     
  11. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

    JerTheGeek

    Joined:
    May 15, 2014
    #11
    True, I could probable get at least $300 out of it and get the 64GB 6s. And the rumor is that the base 6s will be 32GB so in that case I'd be good. But it's always nice to have more storage.
     
  12. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2010
    #12
    If you're happy with your 5s and therefore not itching to get rid of it, I don't see why you wouldn't wait to see what Apple brings to the plate in less than 2 months.
     
  13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

    ucfgrad93

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    Location:
    Colorado
    #13
    Agreed. The only way I'd buy one now is if I absolutely needed a phone. Since you are not in that situation, you should definitely wait.
     
  14. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2011
    #14
    Like many others, I would suggest that you wait for the 6S and then upgrade. Definitely worth the wait and you won't regret it.
     
  15. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

    Shanghaichica

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2013
    Location:
    UK
    #15
    I would wait. You don't have long to go and you may as well get the best iPhone available as you will most likely keep it for two years.
     
  16. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

    JerTheGeek

    Joined:
    May 15, 2014
    #16
    So because of the new Verizon device upgrade program, I am able to get a $25 credit on my line, and so with the 64gb iPhone 6, it would end up being only like $6 a month, which makes it a total of around $150 total over 24mo. Should I go for that or still wait for the 6s?
     
  17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

    Applejuiced

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2008
    Location:
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    #17
    ID wait a few months to see what gets released. Up to you if you can hold off longer.
     
  18. GaryNoine macrumors member

    GaryNoine

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2015
    Location:
    Atlanta
    #18
    This is the always interesting time period between models where you think it's too late to upgrade to the last released, but the new one hasn't been announced yet. I had the same dilemma that summer between the 5 and 5s; did I want the 5 or wait a few months to see what the 5s would look like. I waited and loved it even more, Touch ID and all. If your current device isn't giving you trouble and making it unusable, I'd wait for the next one.
     
  19. clukas macrumors 6502a

    clukas

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    #19
    Follow everyones advice above, wait. Its not long now, only about a month and a half before were going to know more. This time will go by quickly, and you'll enjoy your upgrade even more.
     
  20. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

    JerTheGeek

    Joined:
    May 15, 2014
    #20
    Update: I have decided to keep my 5s. The battery needs to be replaced, and I'll just pay the $79 rather than get a new iPhone, cause honestly I love the 4 inch size and don't want to give it up.
     

Share This Page