iPhone upgrade on another family member's line

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ImmerKleiner, Jun 17, 2009.

1. ImmerKleiner macrumors newbie

I have no eligibility for any discounted upgrade to 3GS at all. My wife's line is eligible. She has no interest in upgrading, but I do. Does anyone know how I could use her eligibility to upgrade to a 3GS while retaining my own phone number on it?

2. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

just swap sims

3. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

When it comes in, just plug it in and set it up for your phone number. Then do a factory restore and set up your old phone as your wife's. You shouldn't have to swap SIMS at all.

4. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Yes you can.
    If you decide to upgrade to the iPhone 4 the game has an extra step.
    When the upgrade is executed for the ip4, since it's a mini sim, the phone is activated using the mini sim and the phone number being upgraded. This kills the iPhone previously assigned to that number.
    Once everything is said and done then you can activate the ip4 to any number, with a new sim and get a new sim so your wife can use her existing phone.

5. sarice15 macrumors newbie

sarice15

It's possible, it just takes some time. The same thing happened to me. I needed a new phone before I went off to school, so my dad agreed to let me take his upgrade. When we got the phone in the mail, we took it to the AT&T store and explained what we wanted to do, and the rep was more than willing to help us swap sims, activate the phone, etc. in order to set up the i4 under my number. The result: I had a shiny new phone to take school and my dad was able to keep his old phone and number until my line was eligible for upgrade.