iPhone upgrade options

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iAdamator, Jul 15, 2016.

1. iAdamator macrumors regular

Hey all

I hope this is the right forum.

My wife is on Verizon wireless and we are about to get her a new iPhone as she desperately needs more storage.

I've always been with AT&T myself and always bought my phones subsidized. I know things have changes now where most carriers make you buy a phone via the installment plans but I know little about them.

My wife's account says she is eligible for an upgrade on 7/26 yet when we click into her account further, it gives us the option to upgrade now and pay either full price for a phone, or do the installment plan option.

What, if anything, will change if we wait til the 26th to upgrade?

2. itsray macrumors 6502

3. now i see it macrumors 65816

Next newest model of iPhone is due in the Fall.

4. iAdamator thread starter macrumors regular

Is it just a glitch in their system them? So then there is no need or reason to wait?

5. itsray macrumors 6502

what phone does she have now and when was it bought? if she was on a previous installment plan and havent reached the 12 months or whatever sometimes there is a small fee to pay if the phone isn't paid off. or you have to trade the phone in. if she wasnt on a previous installment plan then its just saying when a regular upgrade is due but due to the new installment plan you can do it whenever now. I would just hold off anyway and wait for the new phone if the one she has still works.

at least i think thats it. for me i got a 6s plus 2 months ago because i needed a phone but i asked at&t if i wanted to upgrade to the new phone when it came out they said i would need to pay like 100something and trade in my phone to get the new one.

6. iAdamator thread starter macrumors regular

She is on an iPhone 5C and it was bought back before installment plans were required. I think it was like $99, I am trying to remember. It was the low price/"free" phone option at the time.

7. itsray macrumors 6502

thats probably why. yea it wont change if you wait till the 26. thats probably when her 2yrs is up. but now she can just do the installment plans starting with a new one. unless she has some old unlimited data plan that she wants to keep she might have to buy the device instead of installments. id say wait till they announce whatever the new phone is if she can hold out. if not then the 6s is a big jump from the 5c.