iPhone 11 Pro iPhone upgrade program and citizens bank

ej2zo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
So I got off the phone with citizens bank today and apparently it is a “hard pull” every time you take out a loan with them (ie: upgrade your iphone every year). This is kind of disappointing. I thought it would be a soft pull after the first year. So essentially if you upgrade every year you’re always carrying 2 hard pulls on your credit report because each one takes two years to go away on your report.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2012
This comes up every year. It’s definitely a YMMV type of thing. I have done it since it came out and I only got the one hard pull at start up, however my wife received a hard pull this year.

Not the end of the world eitherway.

LucyLouie

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2015
Texas
Hard pulls stay on your credit report for 24 months but only count against your score for 12 months, so don’t worry too much about it.

Reactions: ej2zo

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
So I got off the phone with citizens bank today and apparently it is a “hard pull” every time you take out a loan with them (ie: upgrade your iphone every year). This is kind of disappointing. I thought it would be a soft pull after the first year. So essentially if you upgrade every year you’re always carrying 2 hard pulls on your credit report because each one takes two years to go away on your report.
While it's YMMV, it's been a soft pull for me for the past 2 years and this would be my 3rd time with just a soft pull.

ctbaz

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2014
This comes up every year. It’s definitely a YMMV type of thing. I have done it since it came out and I only got the one hard pull at start up, however my wife received a hard pull this year.

Not the end of the world eitherway.
She has been on it from the beginning too? Hmm seems they do random hard pulls on current IUP members or they do soft pulls for IUP members upgrading and if they see something then they do a hard.

I am in the same boat as you. Only hard pull was my first time.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2012
She has been on it from the beginning too? Hmm seems they do random hard pulls on current IUP members or they do soft pulls for IUP members upgrading and if they see something then they do a hard.

I am in the same boat as you. Only hard pull was my first time.
Yup! She has been in since the start like me. They must use some weird algorithm that randomly selects which to hard pull based on something.

I wouldn’t believe the reps when they say every time will be a hard pull, half the time they don’t know what’s going on.

Reactions: ej2zo