iPhone upgrade program and lame duck iPhone 7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pbrutto, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Pbrutto macrumors 6502a

Pbrutto

I was wondering how many people like myself signed up for the upgrade program with the knowledge that in the past the number upgrade has been the redesign and the "s" has been the internal change, only to see all these rumors that the 2017 iPhone is the next big change and feel a bit put off.

I realize signing up for the program is no guarantee of new phones on any timescale whatsoever, but...it certainly is implied. The recent rumors have suggested the iPhone 7 will feature: roughly the same design, no headphone jack, possibly duel cameras on the larger model, and maybe an option for 256 storage. So if you have a normal sized 6s you get: one less port, a (slightly) improved camera maybe, the option to pay for more storage and a A10 processor.

Am I the only person who feels like this program rolled out and we signed up only to get shafted on what should have been a major redesign? I feel like the rumors make this potentially the first iPhone I would be okay with skipping.....

2. latweek macrumors member

I agree with your concern. I don't think it's hard to believe this is where its going unfortunately. I'm noticing this same phenomena with software as a service, no innovation, just a monthly/annual fee to continue using the same product.

Not that I'm crying about it, but it is clear that the old model of driving purchases with innovative features/functionality has been conceded, and the revenue stream forward is more and more of these kind of "programs".

3. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

If it's a body change, it's considered a major redesign. If you don't like that based on rumours several months out...I don't know what to tell you.

4. stevemiller macrumors 65816

On the plus side, the 2016 update might be boring but the rumours suggest you'll get something nicer in 2017. I guess part of the program means riding the peaks and the valleys.

5. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

We probably shouldn't be getting upset over rumors so far out, especially rumors of the phone that comes after the phone that hasn't come out yet.

6. af21187 macrumors 6502

Apple announced iPhone sales were "flat" for the first time ever earlier this year. I'm sure they'll pull something out of their pocket to make 2016's iPhone a "must-buy".

7. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

To say you got shafted is just totally wrong.

You signed up for the upgrade program. That's it...there's no implied promise that Apple is going to roll out a meaningful update or not.

And if the ip7 isn't worth upgrading to, then you stand pat. You didn't lose money or something.

8. latweek macrumors member

Not sure about this. The first statement on Apple's description of the plans value is that the consumer pays a fixed monthly amount because:

"The iPhone Upgrade Program gives you an easier way to get a new iPhone every year"

If Apple's features and functionality aren't substantially improving, then you are continuing to make payments for an iPhone that is basically the same as when you started paying, except you would have paid it off already without the program.

The trick is that apple won't say what's coming, and there is no point in arguing about something that can't be known until too late.0

9. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Just because you signed up for the program doesn't mean you're forced to upgrade every year. You can simply hold on to the 6s until it's paid off and keep it until the 8 or whatever model you want is released. I'm on the IUP as well, and if the 7 doesn't introduce something that compels me to upgrade, I'll hold on to my 6s.

10. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

But all that was made clear before any one signs up (in a manner of speaking).

No one knows what Apple will do this year or next. Also even what constitutes a major upgrade or a minor one...one's man meat is another man's poison.

I know what the op means to say...but it's all a crapshoot what Apple unveils each year.

11. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

So people are unhappy because the speculated 2017 design might be more substantial than the speculated 2016 design?

12. der meister macrumors newbie

der meister

Why don't you just enjoy the phone you have now...?

13. Superrjamz54 macrumors regular

Superrjamz54

Yes. Part of the problem is actually Samsung and other AMOLED suppliers still having screen burn in issues. That and the smartphone market is just like the pc mArket. Saturated with quality products that don't need to be updated as frequently as in years past. Every phone maker is in the same bind. The only thing different is Apple is making a huge profit on them compared to everybody else.

14. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

You don't have to upgrade, you can keep the 6s until it's paid off then start a new payment plan with the phone in 2017 and you get to keep/sell the 6s.

15. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

Other than there are no promises and no real idea what will be announced this year. Assuming it is the program I'm aware of - you signed up for a plan that lets you upgrade but in reality you still owe the remaining - you "pay" it by turning in your old phone. So you are paying for the whole phone anyway you look at it. So if you don't like this years model you keep the phone and then you actually own it in 2 years and if you get a new one then you can sell it yourself or??
    So they are providing you an option - it could be that you bought a 16 GB phone and now need a 64GB one - so you get to turn in the 16GB after a year and get the one you want.

So many people miss-understand what they were signing up for (or were not explained correctly). What they are offering was an option - not a promise that you'd want to do something after a year

16. keatth macrumors 6502

I don't think you can have 2 programs
    Going at once

17. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

That's not what he's suggesting. He's saying pay off the first phone, which means you are no longer on the first program. Then start a new one for a new phone and keep your old one. If you upgrade every year, you have to keep trading in your old phone. If you upgrade every two years, you get to keep your old phone.

18. Pbrutto thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pbrutto

This is indeed a good way to get extra "sales" every year because I'm sure many will say "look, I will pay the same and get brand new!"

I don't think at any point I thought I was promised anything....I suppose the idea of upgrading every year sounded good because I always did and it was making sure there were no crazy hoops to jump through with the carrier anymore. Now that contracts are disappearing it seems almost unnecessary for this program to exist, pay all in cash up front or put it on a credit card....almost the same thing minus Apple not charging you interest.

I do very much, but aren't we all on this site to discuss/brainstorm/complain/suffer together?

I do hesitate with rumors because they are just that. However the frequency and voracity of the no major design changes/huge 2017 change are hard to ignore

19. Jax44 macrumors 6502a

Jax44

It takes two years to pay it off, but you can upgrade yearly if you like.

20. nrvna76 macrumors 6502

You can have multiple iPhones on the upgrade plan. I have my wife's and mine both under my name. As long as you qualify you can get them. I assume there is some limit to prevent fraud but it isn't 2.

21. keatth macrumors 6502

Well technically you and your wife are one person.

22. Pbrutto thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pbrutto

Did anyone at the store say to you that you were eligible to upgrade after 6 months? That's what the guy told me on launch day at the Apple Store and I thought it sounded odd....until the iPhone SE

23. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Surely you can't believe this utter nonsense. Perhaps you really hate SAMSUNG, Google or both. But the post you wrote reflects a serious lack of knowledge. Reaching out grasping at these falsehoods causes those who know the truth to wonder what is going on in your mind.

24. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I think it's premature to assume the next iPhone will be a lame duck. Imo wwdc will provide a clearer picture of things to come but if you don't like it just hold on to the phone you have now.

FWIW I always buy my phones outright to avoid potential issues

25. Superrjamz54 macrumors regular

Superrjamz54

Really dippy. Plenty of complaints online from people having burn in issues. Even Sams