iPhone Upgrade Program/Carrier

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by garrett_96, Aug 15, 2017.

1. garrett_96 macrumors newbie

I'm hoping someone can provide a little bit of clarity. Myself and two other family members have phones with AT&T. I have mine through the iPhone Upgrade Program, which will be eligible to upgrade next month, and the other two lines were done through AT&T Next. The two through AT&T next are already paid off.

Now, if we wanted to switch to Sprint & use the iPhone Upgrade Program when the new iPhone is released, how would we go about doing so? Do we already have to have an account with Sprint in order to utilize the IUP? I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question & any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

You need an existing postpaid account with the carrier you will be using—you can't switch carriers during the purchase via the iPhone Upgrade Program.

What phone model(s) do you have? If it's a 6 or 6s, you could take advantage of Sprint's One Year Free promotion that's currently running, switch your AT&T plan to Sprint, use your existing phones, get a year's service for free (pay only fees and taxes), and you'd still be eligible to upgrade via the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program, if I'm not mistaken.

The promo does have restrictions on using Sprint's installment plan—I think you have to wait until October as a promo switcher, but that wouldn't apply to you.

3. markfasel macrumors newbie

markfasel

My wife and I were on T-Mobile and last year we signed up for the iPhone Upgrade Program (actually signed up as Verizon in store and created a Verizon account because the sales associate wasn't sure how to set up an account with T-Mobile. This was a pain but fast forward (cancelled our Verizon service after leaving the store) and went to T-Mobile and got a sim card and was good to go.

Now looking at the pre-order options, we're faced with the dilemma of not being able to pre-order online due to Apple not being able to process T-Mobile upgrades online due to technical limitations placed by the carrier. So I decided to move back over to Verizon (we were thinking of the switch anyway with the new Unlimited plan). Once I have my account number from Verizon, I have been assured by Apple Support and Verizon that come pre-order time, I can upgrade through the iPhone upgrade program and just select Verizon at checkout / completion. So you should have no problem if you switch before.

Thanks