Carrier iPhone Upgrade Program for use with employer owned SIM

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yargok, Sep 7, 2016.

1. yargok macrumors newbie

All, I was hoping you would be able to help with a particular challenge I have coming up.

My employer has provided a 16gb iPhone 6 which I use as my primary phone. It is a little small and old at this stage, but an upgrade isn't likely for a few years.

I would like to purchase my own iPhone and swap the SIM between my company phone and my personal phone. (let's ignore any potential policy issues with this).

Given how much I like staying up on the currrent tech, I wanted to sign up for the iPhone Upgrade Program to allow me to swap out the phone every year. Earlier in the week, I was testing out the ordering system on a iPhone 6S to understand what is possible. The ordering process continues to ask for a carrier / account info even though the phone itself should be unlocked (I believe). This is a problem, because I don't have access to my account and ability to provide the required details given that it is a corporate plan.

So two questions:
    1. Is it possible to sign up for the upgrade program without having a personal account?
    2. If not, what is the cheapest, no contract, way of aquiring an unlocked phone, with the intent to then cancel the service?

2. AngusW macrumors 6502

AngusW

My guess would be that you would need to have that information as they're only offering this as a contract. if you want a cheap no contract way to get an unlocked phone there isn't you'd still have to pay full price for the device.

3. yargok thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm - makes sense. Then the related question becomes very relevant:

Which carrier has the cheapest plan?
    • E.g. cancel immediately and avoid any monthly charges
    • E.g. keep for a single month, at lowest total cost (monthly fee + activation)