Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcorrado

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2008
Chicago, IL
Hello -

First my apologies, I know I have seen this issue dealt with on these forums but search was not helping me find my answer.

I just upgraded my X to an XS Max (iPhone Upgrade Program). My wife and I are thinking about keeping the old X instead of upgrading here to the XR or even the XS since we are halfway through payments and can avoid a tax payment and upgrade fee.

Now I understand that if I do not return the device, the installment loan continues on the X. In addition, I will have the new loan active on the XS Max. I am wondering if anyone has done this and if the following is true:

1) the upgraded phone loan will continue as monthly payments, in other words the full balance will not be due immediately; and,

2) not returning the device does not impact my ability to use the upgrade option on the XS Max when next September rolls around.

Thank you in advance for your help.

ZhenyaF

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I did this last year. Kept the previous phone and just kept paying the Loan on 2 phones. Did not have any input on upgrading this year

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2013
This is good to know, because my sister asked if she could have my X now that I have an Xs max.

Reactions: qpid360

lsh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
I’m curious, if your phone is paid off before next gen phone, can you still do the pre-approval? That made order check out much faster - I had 3 phones ordered in 4 minutes. I knew I was keeping the phone but didn’t want to process payoff until I got new phone for fear I’d mess up the order.

If you decide to keep old phone (and new one) to give to someone else, you first have to call or chat with Apple to remove the “hold” (keeps citizens system from charging you while you send phone back). I think I just needed the order numbers from the new phones.
Then you call Citizens (phone number and loan number for old phone is on the bottom of invoice for new phone) to authorize them to pay the balance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.