Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
I spoke to Apple support about this, and from what the rep told me - I can't sign up for the Upgrade Program on the same phone I'm returning because I would be given a new phone. He was being cautious in his wording, and I don't blame him, but my original plan was to open up the box, play around with the phone, and then return / rebuy under the iUP if I ended up liking it at my own time.

I'm having second thoughts on what my course of action should be now. Since I'm with T-Mobile, going in-stores to sign up for the program (since it's mandatory) on launch day (assuming I get that lucky) isn't something I'm looking forward to, assuming there will be a crowd. On the other hand, I'm wondering if it would be possible to sign up if I haven't opened the shipping box / iPhone box.

Has anyone done the latter before?

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
Why wouldn't you want to sign up for the iPhone Upgrade program when buying initially?

Damon2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2016
Why wouldn't you want to sign up for the iPhone Upgrade program when buying initially?
I'm guessing because If they do that and decide they do not like or want the phone, they now have a hard pull on his credit for a phone that they dont have anymore.

Where as If they buy it outright plays with it decides, yes this is the phone I want and see myself keeping for at least a year, they can return and put on the IUP. Yes they still get the hard pull but at least they're using the device.

Or maybe I'm totally wrong and they have other reasons :p

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
I'm guessing because If they do that and decide they do not like or want the phone, they now have a hard pull on his credit for a phone that they dont have anymore.

Where as If they buy it outright plays with it decides, yes this is the phone I want and see myself keeping for at least a year, they can return and put on the IUP. Yes they still get the hard pull but at least they're using the device.

Or maybe I'm totally wrong and they have other reasons :p
That and the ordering process will have less clicks :D

Also, I have T-Mobile so they force us to go to the Apple Store to sign up. Want to avoid the rush at the Apple store as much as possible.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
The problem here is that they have to mark your device as an "Open Box" and once it does, then you can't repurchase and they have to send that back over to their headquarters to be dismantled and refurbished. But if you buy it but did not open it then you can return it and rebuy it since they mark that as unopened.

Ad13

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
Manchester, UK
And then we wonder why iPhones are difficult to get hold of at launch. This shouldn’t be allowed. Play with it in the Apple Store. Surely you’d know at this point if it’s what you want / need.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
The problem here is that they have to mark your device as an "Open Box" and once it does, then you can't repurchase and they have to send that back over to their headquarters to be dismantled and refurbished. But if you buy it but did not open it then you can return it and rebuy it since they mark that as unopened.
Okay. I might do this then. I definitely want it, but I’d rather skip the launch day traffic.
[doublepost=1508184539][/doublepost]
And then we wonder why iPhones are difficult to get hold of at launch. This shouldn’t be allowed. Play with it in the Apple Store. Surely you’d know at this point if it’s what you want / need.
Oh I definitely want it, that bit was just the “excuse” I gave to the Apple support. It’s just a matter of figuring out the best way to approach things.

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
I plan on doing this. But will have MOD there during the process.

Will do this probably closer to closing time.

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
Called Apple to confirm, each time they said since it’s an online order, will have to be returned online. -_-

Anyone else getting different answers? I called my local Apple store and they deferred me to calling customer care.

hansenc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2004
I was able to do this for the 8 Plus. Did an in store reservation on launch day and converted to AIUP it was just a return/resell.

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
I was able to do this for the 8 Plus. Did an in store reservation on launch day and converted to AIUP it was just a return/resell.
good to know but your phone was originally an instore purchase.

i guess i'll find out on friday.

otherwise, it looks like one of my lucky friends will be getting a X at cost.

scottuf

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
NPB, FL
I had no problem doing this yesterday afternoon at the Wellington Green (FL) Apple Store. 3:00 appointment, got there about 5 min early. They said that they actually just sold out of walk-ins, but no one I talked to knew how many they had, and I overheard someone say they were Sprint phones. Anyways, the rep handling my purchase wasn't sure how to handle it, so they brought another over. Completed my full price purchase, then took it to the back so they could return it and remove it from available inventory before someone else claimed it once back in stock. Five min or so later they came back out and took me to a computer to do the T-Mobil IUP enrollment. What a pain of a system. Anyways, another 5-10 minutes later I was walking out of the store with my new IUP iPhone X Space Grey 256. Loving it so far over my 6s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.