iPhone Upgrade Program Question

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
I joined the IUP last September with the iPhone 7 Plus. I preorded and received it on launch day, so I have been making payments on that device for more than 12 months. I preordered the iPhone X on the IUP as well and it will be delivered mid November, but I have a question regarding on of the charges I see on my Order Details page.

It lists an “Early Upgrade Payment” (same amount as my monthly payment on my 7 Plus, along with the “First Monthly Installment” payment for the iPhone X. What is this early upgrade payment? Is this normal or is this something anyone has run into before and received an answer on? Thanks.

KL77

Suspended
Oct 27, 2017
Any amount paid in excess will be refunded to you when your new phone arrives, I believe.

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
Ok that’s fine if it is an excess charge, but that doesn’t completely answer my question as to if this is indeed a normal excess charge that is later refunded, if Apple made an error here, or if this is just a charge I am stuck with.

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
Not sure if this too will answer your question. Last year, I signed up for iUP on 10/15/16. I decided to upgrade to the 8 Plus, so I pre-ordered the 8 Plus on 9/15/17. Also it happens that my 12th payment was 9/15/17. I chatted with Apple and was assured that because it is in their system that my 12th payment would be on the 12th that I wouldn't be double charged. Come launch day of the 8 Plus, I got charged the 12th payment twice plus the tax and the first month payment.

But I checked my credit card statement and they actually refunded me the extra 12th payment I made. I didn't even call apple or Citizens. They just took care of it.