iPhone Upgrade Program & Rumored Early Launch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DMVillain, Jul 26, 2016.

1. DMVillain macrumors 6502a

Last week @evleaks predicted an iPhone 7 (or 6SE?) launch date of Friday, September 16th - nine days earlier than last year's release. If true, members of the iPhone Upgrade Program won't be able to upgrade without making one final payment. From the Apple website:

"Can I upgrade earlier than 12 months?​

Yes. You can upgrade at an Apple Store anytime after six months, as long as you’ve made the equivalent of at least 12 payments"​

While this itself isn't really problematic, Citizen's doesn't (currently) have a "pay early" option online and Apple doesn't let you pay in-store. s/ Are these early warning signs of #UpgradeGate?!?!! /s

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not just wait the 9 days and get the phone when you fully eligible? it is just a cell phone after all :)

3. ZipZap macrumors 601

I think that analyst opinion and downgrade of Apple may be driving this... but what he said underscores the truth. Iphone 7 is not what customers want. Key in that is the removal of the headphone jack. While I do understand the engineering advantage, Apples secret approach to doing this has left everyone in the dark. The last thing I want is another dongle. I am not buying new headphones either. Apple, tell me why I should not be concerned.

4. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

You hear the same things every iPhone introduction.

It is just the beginning of the crazy times.

5. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Supply will be short and Safari will be snappier.

6. Alexrat1996 Suspended

I never done the apple plan might look into that or do AT&T next

7. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

How is it possible to make the "equivalent of 12 payments" if there is no way to make payments outside of your current monthly installments?

There has to be a way to do this. Maybe the Apple website/app?

8. DMVillain thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I'm confused about. It's definitely not on Apple's side though, and not on the Citizen's website. Maybe a call to Citizen's Bank is the answer. I'll probably go that route if it's comes to it, but I'm sure Apple has something planned for this.

9. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

As the other poster mention, just wait the few days more and get it then, what's the problem ?

10. noobinator macrumors 601

MUST HAVE RELEASE DAY OR KITTENS AND PUPPIES WILL DIE

11. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

Apparently, they can't wait.

Truly, a first-world problem.

12. lordofthereef, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

When I asked an Apple employee, because I thought I might be interested at the time, I was told you can make the remainder of the 12 payments at that time, but this would essentially activate a trade in and you would need to select a new device.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 26, 2016 ---
    As far as this being a frist world problem and having people wait... the upgrade program is geared towards people who want the newest device. Who knows if that 9 days turns into three months because they aren't able to get it in time and it's sold out. This sort of thing isn't exactly unprecedented folks...

13. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Stand by.....stand by...... At the sound of the iPhone beep please commence total insanity for 45 days as new phone is launched. Please leave all reason, common sense, and patience aside as the yearly "CRAZY TIMES" draws near.

Happy upgrade........this too shall pass. Please refer to aviator picture, shakes head, Palm slap.

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

When a new iPhone is released, there are two (and ONLY two) possibilities:
    1. Tim Cook is an idiot who didn't make enough phones to go around.
    2. Apple is doomed because there are enough phones to go around.
    That is all.

15. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Electronic heroin and crack rolled into one

16. GrandeLatte macrumors member

GrandeLatte

This is verbatim from the Apple website: "With the Phone Upgrade Program, you can spread the cost over 24 months, with the option to get a new iPhone after 12 payments."

So in effect even after 12 payments, you still owe them another 12 payments while you start on a new phone with 24 payments to make. That's 36 payments.

For the future. If I were you and enjoy new phones whenever I want it, I'd buy my phone straight up cash, then... other trade it in or sell it online and use the proceeds towards the next phone. That would make life easier.

17. HEK, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

You don't owe 36 payments. You return the old iPhone for the new one and start the new 24 payment program. In effect you leased the old iPhone for a year paying full tax at beginning and paid off half cost of phone.

Other than the tax this is closest thing to paying monthly for a phone receiving new one each year and includes monthly AppleCare+.

No games, no discounts, no interest, no hidden costs, seperate from whatever carrier costs, just a plain simple monthly payment program always with a new phone. Can't get any simpler.

18. Savor Suspended

Savor

Space black renders only got me excited because of the subdued dark lines on the rear. White antenna lines makes the iPhone 6 series look hideous. Gray or silver does hide smudges better than black though.

19. GrandeLatte macrumors member

GrandeLatte

Then, that's not so bad. It's worth considering.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Bam, common sense hits hard again:)
    Such a simple solution but to some it will be the end of the world having to hold off an extra 9 days:D

21. nrvna76 macrumors 6502

I don't remember, wasn't the first payment in September '15? Doesn't that mean payment 12 was in August?

22. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Totally agree. I find that my enjoyment is substantially increased when I pay in full and don't worry about monthly payments. I like the feeling of ownership vs leasing.

23. DMVillain thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep, great point. /thread.

24. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

If history is any indicator, your 9 days will end up being 2-3 months because of limited supply.

Obviously it's not the end of the world, but why should someone have to wait after they paid a premium to be in the program?

25. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

It has been reported that seizures, damage to the id and super id occur when new iPhone delayed by even a few days. Just look at all the damaged minds on here. :eek: